Road Bike New experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chipmonster

My new road bike, which is alot lighter than my mountain bike.

Anyway first time on drops, really scares you especially down hill. Anyway, the bike is alot faster and its easier up the hills. Big hills are a still a struggle for me but I guess I will just have to get used to them.

Cycled about 3 miles into work today and i have just done another 6 miles at dinner time. Will do another 3 miles tonight back home.

I must admit it does take a bit of getting used to on the drops.

yenrod

Alot of people use the drops for ridng fast or downhills but use the braklevers for the majority of riding or event the tops !

Maz

Guru
chipmonster - what sort of commute do you have? Urban? Rural? Mixture? Heavy traffic?

OP
OP
C

chipmonster

City centre Manchester, start work @ 8 and finish @ 4 so the traffic is not as heavy.

I have to commute daily (on car) 60 miles round trip. Anyway, putting the bike in the car and then parking up and cycling. At the moment I am doing 3 miles (each way) on the bike but this will be increasing as I get fitter.

Getting used to the traffic, peddles, new bike takes a while but I am sure I will get their eventually. Planning to do the full commute next year (1 day a week) though!!! Not sure if this will be possible only time will tell?

Maz said:
chipmonster - what sort of commute do you have? Urban? Rural? Mixture? Heavy traffic?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
chipmonster said:
Big hills are a still a struggle for me but I guess I will just have to get used to them.
You too, eh ? :becool:
I must admit it does take a bit of getting used to on the drops
Aye, it's a bit wobbly to start with IME - but FUN ! :biggrin:

bonj2

it will seem weird riding on the drops, but take time to do it more and more to try and get used to it, you might need to make minor adjustments to saddle height in order to get used to it right. Not as comfy for just general 'cruising' as the hoods, but do try and do it on the flat a bit aswell as downhill to get the cardio rhythm and breathing right. Wide handlebars help. My analysis is that drops riding is not as good for torque but better for power.
Good fun when you get it 'dialled in'

Top Bottom