Road bike tyre pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So a softer tyre with more rubber in contact would have less resistance and roll quicker than a harder tyre with less contact area?

pretty much - although the softer you go, the higher the risk of impact punctures, but it's worth taking some time to find the ideal pressure which works for you. Too many people just bang up their tyres as hard as a drum in the mistaken belief that they will go faster for it...

Cyclist33

pretty much - although the softer you go, the higher the risk of impact punctures, but it's worth taking some time to find the ideal pressure which works for you. Too many people just bang up their tyres as hard as a drum in the mistaken belief that they will go faster for it...
+1... There is a sweet spot for everyone in any given scenario. Trial and error is the key.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Well that's been me exactly! Thanks for the reply i will experiment a bit. Although i anticipate being towards the higher pressure end of things because of my weight.
:thumbsup:

U

User6179

I'm 17st Derrick so have headed toward higher pressure so far
So thats around 240 pound :ohmy:

I,d recommend wider tyre at lower pressure, I was 220 ish a couple of months ago and went from 23s at 110-120 to 25s at 95-105 and find no difference in rolling resistance but big difference comfort plus when you get a punture it is easier to pump 25s upto 90 to get you home than 23s upto over a 100( my pump refuses to go past 90 psi:stop: ), I must of had 2 or 3 pinch puntures because of this.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I,d recommend wider tyre at lower pressure, I was 220 ish a couple of months ago and went from 23s at 110-120 to 25s at 95-105 and find no difference in rolling resistance but big difference comfort plus when you get a punture it is easier to pump 25s upto 90 to get you home than 23s upto over a 100( my pump refuses to go past 90 psi:stop: ), I must of had 2 or 3 pinch puntures because of this.
I had considered going to 25mm tyres actually. May do this for the winter and see how it goes.

U

User6179

I had considered going to 25mm tyres actually. May do this for the winter and see how it goes.

I,ve lost a bit of weight but sticking with 25s as i have more confidence decending also as im not as worried about pinching on a pothole at 40 mph :ohmy:, just bought a cx for winter with 34s on it and I cant believe how fast it decends on tarmac as I thought the bigger tyre with tread on the outside and slick in the middle would slow me down but it feels faster than my carbon racer with conti gp4000s on it.

It's what you like to ride on in the end....

I run various 700c x 23 tyres at 110 front and rear.

My boy, who does some casual TT-ing, goes up to 140 on clinchers. No idea whether it adds speed, he just likes to think it might.

He rides most of the time at 110. This seems to be the 'suits-most' pressure for this sort of tyre.

I have some 700c x20 tyres on a steel fixie and ran them at 135 just for fun. It was horrid. The front was put straight back to 110 after my wrists complained. The rear is still at 120-ish, but in truth 110 is probably better.

I imagine most track pumps are slightly iffy when it comes to pressure readings, so any replies you read may or may not be inaccurate to the nearest 20 psi.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
So a softer tyre with more rubber in contact would have less resistance and roll quicker than a harder tyre with less contact area? No wonder i flunked science :blush:
So a softer tyre with more rubber in contact would have less resistance and roll quicker than a harder tyre with less contact area? No wonder i flunked science :blush:

Just listen to Black'n'yellow and you wont go far wrong,he's my tyre pressure hero! :thumbsup: Since he advised me to drop from 110psi down to 90/100psi i haven't had a single puncture in about 4 months!:ohmy:

D

Deleted member 20519

I run 110 front and 110 back after getting pinch punctures. Not had any problems since. I top them up before each ride as the tyres lose a few psi when not in use.

Top Bottom