Road bike tyres, swapping front to rear.

Swapping tyres to even out wear.

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I was wondering whether after riding 1500 miles on my Contis, if there was any benefit or value in swapping the tyres round on the bike? The back tyre seems to have worn quicker than the front, which makes sense.

Does anyone swap their tyres round to even the wear, or is that a load of Beau Larques?

Rear tyre is on the driven wheel, so will wear faster. Just leave them where they are - when the rear needs replacing, swap the front tyre to the rear and fit the new tyre on the front.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Rear tyre is on the driven wheel, so will wear faster. Just them them where they are - when the rear needs replacing, swap the front tyre to the rear and fit the new tyre on the front.
This ^^^^
A used rear will be squared-off and will handle badly. Furthermore you always want your best tyre on the front from a safety standpoint, rears will always be more damaged than fronts.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
My current M+ tyres are lasting so long im getting bored and want to try something slightly different, so will probably bin them both (or at least remove them) at first excuse :smile:

Davidc

Guru
Although the rears wear out faster I find that the little cuts and other damage is much the same.

As soon as either tyre looks in need of a change I change both.

I keep a used spare of each size so the best of the old ones plus existing spare gets kept.

The spare is then on my that size test rim, with the last inner tube to have been repaired, inflated. Keeps things in good condition.

The last 700c tyres I bought are Marathons (no +), and they're wearing so slowly I'm wondering how long tyres last before perishing and needing replacements.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If the rear is worn, I usually change both, and keep the old front spare for any emergency (i.e. if tyre gets a huge cut). That would just tide me over before the new 'order' arrived.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It must just be me then as I have done the front to rear swap on my hybrid and my road bike as the rears were getting a distinct wear line (it's my awsome power ^_^) and never noticed a difference in handling or any other of the prophesied calamities.

Top Bottom