Road bike wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

Über Member
I'm looking for a road bike. I'm 5ft 10 so looking for a Medium/large. Ideally I want a carbon frame but I'm happy to listen to what you have. I'm looking to less than £700.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Maybe @biggs682 has something in his stable. I shouldn’t get too hung up on carbon as many older and not so old bikes have pressfit BBs which can be absolute barstewards if they start to move and creak, some aluminium frames have them too so beware.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Most carbon would be pressfit. Look at the BB, if you can’t see anything outside the BB that looks like it screws into the frame It’s a pressfit, the bearings will be flush.
I don’t want to scare you, most will be fine and trouble free but it’s something to be aware of on older bikes, even new ones.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ok, well that is why i said I would listen to other options.
Indeed. What sort of weight would be acceptable if that’s a main criteria? It’s a difficult time to buy and sell used bikes, so if in a hurry to get something, new might be a better option
eg https://www.ashcycles.com/site/-c-971/giant-contend-sl-2-2018-p-8714

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Indeed. What sort of weight would be acceptable if that’s a main criteria? It’s a difficult time to buy and sell used bikes, so if in a hurry to get something, new might be a better option

I dont really know, I'm coming back to road bikes. So was thinking to get a decent frame with ok drive train and stuff, which can then be upgraded over time. So would like to buy 2nd hand as you get more for your money.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just feel that's what I should get as its lighter.
There are a lot of aluminium frame bikes that are very light as well. The Cannondale CAAD bikes are very light. I think Alu is a more forgiving ride than carbon. I have a carbon road bike in my workshop. It is my least ridden bike as the others are more comfortable.

vickster

Legendary Member
There are a lot of aluminium frame bikes that are very light as well. The Cannondale CAAD bikes are very light. I think Alu is a more forgiving ride than carbon. I have a carbon road bike in my workshop. It is my least ridden bike as the others are more comfortable.
My carbon bike is sitting on the turbo, steel is my go to for riding!

vickster

Legendary Member
I dont really know, I'm coming back to road bikes. So was thinking to get a decent frame with ok drive train and stuff, which can then be upgraded over time. So would like to buy 2nd hand as you get more for your money.
Have you scoured eBay and gumtree locally too as you’re not going to be able to travel to buy?
Do you want racy or more endurance?

Last edited:
Top Bottom