Road bikes on rough surfaces.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Comfort isn't all about the tyres by any means. A harsh frame & stiff wheels on big tyres will let more vibration through to the contact points if the tyres are correctly inflated compared to a more compliant frame & wheel set. For handle bars I find that 'standard' 25.4-26mm bars tend to flex a little more which dampens vibration compared to 31.8mm 'oversized' bars.

With this in mind I found that my fixie on 650x23c tyres was more comfortable to ride over bad surfaces than my Marin with 700x44c tyres. I also know which frame was far stiffer.

Hont

Guru
Globalti said:
100_0812.jpg

What is that big ring FFS? A 65? Was it stamped "For downhill only"?

Went out for a spin this am. One road just coated with chippings (and I mean just - slithered all over the place), two showing signs of closure for "surface renewal". I'm guessing that doesn't mean nice smooth tarmac. :tongue:

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I must agree with Randochap. You can get the comfort you want with big, slick tyres. Tests, by the way, show little to no performance hit vs. skinny, high pressure tyres.

It's a shame that that cycle industry is so driven by racing. FAR too many people are riding road bikes, though they have no intention of ever entering a race. MOST people would be better off on a touring bike, with it's slightly more relaxed geometry, wider gear ratios, and ability to fit wide tyres, (not to mention, all the braze-ons that you would want for racks and mudguards).

GrasB

Veteran
Depends what you mean by little to no hit. I call a measured 17% increase in power requirements a big hit my self, the difference between a 700x28c & 700x40c M+ from a 20mph roll down test. That kinda difference is small at say 15mph but get up to 20mph & the extra power required is quite noticeable.

Top Bottom