Road Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Hmm . can anyone clarify something does the scr 4 hav a 3 front ring mesh of just the 2.

and wt benefits does the scr 3 have.

i would prefer a 3 front ring mesh as where i live is rather hilly.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Young Un said:
Hmm . can anyone clarify something does the scr 4 hav a 3 front ring mesh of just the 2.

and wt benefits does the scr 3 have.

i would prefer a 3 front ring mesh as where i live is rather hilly.

The SCR4 has a compact double (36-50) and the SCR 3 a compact triple (30-39-50). My SCR2 this compact triple too, I very rarely use the thirty tooth ring where I am, but it's there in case I ever go up the hill to Bretoncelles from L'Esperance again :tongue:

The SCR3 also has a carbon fork (SCR4 has a Cro-Moly fork) which is lighter and takes some of the sting out of the road vibration.

One other difference is the slightly better shifters (SCR4 has 2200, SCR3 has Sora).

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

hmm.

When i go into the shop ill ask how much the slighty damged scr 4 and scr 3 are and then see wt leaves me 60 for shoes and pedals and still with in my 400 budget

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
YES!! Now not the youngest on the board:biggrin:
You want your own car? Why, get a bike;)
The SCR4 gearing i think is good. Get it set up right and you can really put some power down. I have done about 3400miles this year, and gone up some huge hills and i only ran out of gears on two hills. Which are huge :tongue: Oh, and i didnt end up grinding up the hill that the Cathedral sits on in Lincoln, so the gearing isnt that bad.
You will probably need a small frame with the Giants.
The steel forks on the SCR4 i think are good. Never rode a bike with carbon so cant compare, but the ride is still smooth.
Have you budgeted for clothing aswell? The summer is here and lycra shorts are needed to give the road biker look;)

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

at the moment i am using my dads bike which is a gt cross county thingy and that has 21 hears and i find that 1 - 1 is about right to get me up the steepest hills ive tried so if i test ride the scr4 i probs could compare

im guessing that from your 24 and if u are ur now nt the youngest by a ling way

yes i have budgetted for clothing etc... well 60 for pedals and shoes which i have found.

get shorts from tesco for now untill i hav more money,, also my mom will probs buy the clubs jersey that i attend soo

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Nope 16, my lucky number is 24.
Try out both the SCR4 and SCR3, but if you cant afford the SCR3, you can always upgrade later to a triple if you really need to.
If you buy online, ribble do some Shimano Pedals for £20, which isnt bad.
Shoes i got some cheap-ish ones from Decathlon, the chance of outgrowing a pair of £50 shoes in about 6 months ment it was cheap.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

yh i think ive got pedals sorted, and just like you i was gonna get speed 6 shoes by decathlon becus there only 30 quid speed 5 are only 25 aswell.

when i get the money//loan i am gonna go to dorridge cycles the local dealer and try and try the scr4 and scr3 and see how much of a discount getting an ex-factory slighty damaged one will cost

Top Bottom