Road chain breaks on a ride, what do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
When I did the Etape in 2008 I won't forget the forlorn desperate look on the faces of the several people I passed standing by the side of the road holding a broken chain in the air trying to beg a link. Even the chain splitter on my cheap and cheerful halfords multitool works well enough, and a KMC quick link weighs nothing. (In fact the problem I have is they escape from my aero wedge without me noticing when fixing punctures!)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I did the Etape in 2008 I won't forget the forlorn desperate look on the faces of the several people I passed standing by the side of the road holding a broken chain in the air trying to beg a link. Even the chain splitter on my cheap and cheerful halfords multitool works well enough, and a KMC quick link weighs nothing. (In fact the problem I have is they escape from my aero wedge without me noticing when fixing punctures!)
Stick them inside that little roll of duct tape that you keep for emergency tyre repairs (or other similar duties).

Norry1

Legendary Member
I have a chain tool on my Alien multitool. I have no idea how to use it :smile:

However, when we were 7 miles from John O'Groats on our LEJoG earlier this month, my brother broke his derailleur. I had read on here that if this happens, you take the derailleur off, shorten the chain and ride singlespeed. My bro knew how to do this, and rode the last 7 miles.

I just need to learn how to use the tool and get some spare links I guess.

Martin

Nozzer

Good job you had the info and I the know how!!!
You can practice on your old chain after you've fitted the new one.

davefb

Guru
tbh, i made the mistake of buying a 'multitool' without chain tool... time over again, i'd have spent a couple more quid and had a chain tool on it. .

and the extra link of course..

after the chain split, i got a chain tool obviously :smile: .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The best tool you can have is a mobile phone.
I'd love to be eavesdropping on the call...

You: "Hey Babe - I know that you were really looking forward to that meal with your mates, but I've got a simple problem with my bike which I can't be bothered to fix so you need to come and rescue me!"

Delighted Babe: "Oh certainly Gav - I like nothing more than to drop everything at a moment's notice and drive 40 miles to pick you up. You just make yourself comfortable at the Shoulder of Mutton while I spend half an afternoon at your beck and call!"

Or would it be ...

Very Pissed Off Babe: "You what - *&%$!"

Phones for emergencies, tools for repairs! :thumbsup:

Rob500

Evening All.

My bike, Defy 2.5 (9spd) has a HG73 chain. Will either one, KMC or SRAM quick fixes, do the job? As long as it's suitable for a 9spd?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Carrying a chain-tool and quick-link is a great plan if you're gonna venture far from home, it's pretty easy to use and can help in many situations. My friends chain shipped-off his inner ring and got jammed good and proper between the chainset and the frane at the BB. No way could we shift it. To make matters worst we were on a steep country hill in the dark and light rain. We couldn't undo the quick-link that joined it, so we split the chain old-fashioned-like and managed to extricate the chain in a few minutes and re-join with a quick-link. If not for that. we'd have been buggered.

Top Bottom