road confidence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Take a dominant position on right turns, you have right of way to things behind you. I've had people try and undertake/overtake on junctions and I've seen them do it to other people, this is incredibly dangerous as especially at junctions another vehicle may block the view of you out to and they could set off whilst your left stationary and plough into you. Occasionally on right turns you'll get a tw*t overtake you so be aware of that :tongue:.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I agree with Arch too... if you keep looking back the motorist thinks "what are they up to" (well I assume that's why they hold back a bit), and if they don't and just go past well fine... go for the next gap instead. But start practising it on smaller roads with little traffic which is moving slower, to begin with. It takes a while to build up confidence... I know as I started out that way.

As marinyork says ... make sure you look behind you just before you turn.... incase some motorist is doing something stupid!!

shimano

Chipmonster, I'm certainly no pro but I'd recommend you find somewhere quiet such as an empty car park and practice those turns. Get used to doing the 'life saver' look over the shoulder more than once as you approach the junction and sticking your arm out as straight as you can! Get the process second nature so when you do head out on the road you don't do that 'nervous cyclist wobble' that seems to wind drivers up. Be bold, be confident, be safe!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Smeggers said:
Yeh I agree completely, although dont necesssarily have to be "good" as long as there at least a small amount of 'awareness' there. So much more alert somehow, thats driving and cycling.

I'm afraid these days, I class anyone with "at least a small amount of 'awareness' " as a good driver!:smile::biggrin:

Top Bottom