road confidence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chipmonster

I am more confident on my bike now, I can tackle the hills and ride for longer distances which is great.

However, I cannot commute to work and I have been going out on the road when it is quiet. I have noticed that I do a combination of riding the bike on the pavement and the road (which is wrong, I need to be on the road).

I am struggling with right turns at the moment, I am too scared to hand signal and take the bike right before doing a right turn (Bit nervous yet).

I normally stay on the left, wait for the cars to go and then do the right turn which can take ages !!!

how do you pro's do your right turns?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
chipmonster said:
I am more confident on my bike now, I can tackle the hills and ride for longer distances which is great.

However, I cannot commute to work and I have been going out on the road when it is quiet. I have noticed that I do a combination of riding the bike on the pavement and the road (which is wrong, I need to be on the road).

I am struggling with right turns at the moment, I am too scared to hand signal and take the bike right before doing a right turn (Bit nervous yet).

I normally stay on the left, wait for the cars to go and then do the right turn which can take ages !!!

how do you pro's do your right turns?

Plan ahead, look for the gap in the traffic and indicate early. Be safe and bold and take a stong positive position (primary) in the lane. It's a confidence thing and once you have got used to it you will be wondering what the fuss was about.

dodgy

Plan further ahead, do a life saver over your shoulder before going to the centre of the road, your road positioning should tell everyone else what your intentions are. If there's any possible ambiguity, indicate (always do it is the preference) and make your turn.

I have a tiny mirror on my bars (of a rather expensive road bike), very unobtrusive, but it allows me to see if it's even worth looking over my shoulder. If I look in the mirror and it's clear, I'll also do a quick life saver. This way I cut down on the times I'm looking backwards on the bike, but I would never make a manouvre based only on what I see in the mirror.

Might be worth getting a mirror?

Dave.

domtyler

Über Member
My maxim is that it takes a person two thousand miles to gain full proficiency on the roads. After a thousand you will have gained much fitness and experience and your confidence levels will be high. It will take another thousand to become fully experienced and bring your confidence levels down a notch or two to a more realistic level.

Willow

~You could also do a local cycling course the new style means the instructor goes out with you sort of like the motor bike lessons.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Remember not to cycle in the gutter, you should be about one metre from the kerb so that motorists can see you, then when you signal to turn right you should be in the drivers field of vision. As stated earlier, plan ahead, be bold but not reckless and signal clearly and early your intention. Don't forget to look over your right shoulder before manoeuvring out to the centre of the road though.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I find that looking back frequently a little way before you need to turn can sometimes make the driver behind you hold back and let you in, as they see and realise you need to move out. It doesn't have to be a full proper look back either, just enough so they see your head move round. Doesn't work everytime of course, and you still need to make your own judgement about if it's safe.

If it's the case that you still feel wobbly with one hand off to indicate, I suggest finding a quiet housing estate, or even just a big empty car park, and practising indicating and looking over your shoulder, over and over until you feel more secure.

And a mirror is also a good idea, BUT, never forget to also look back properly, like dodgy says.

having said all that - the great thing about a bike is, if you do feel a particular turn or junction is very intimidating, you can at least stop get off and walk if you need to. Confidence will come with experience.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, and if you haven't already, get a copy of Cyclecraft. Lots of good advice on road positioning, tackling all sorts of junctions etc. A sort of advanced manual for cyclists.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Arch said:
I find that looking back frequently a little way before you need to turn can sometimes make the driver behind you hold back and let you in, as they see and realise you need to move out. It doesn't have to be a full proper look back either, just enough so they see your head move round. Doesn't work everytime of course, and you still need to make your own judgement about if it's safe.

I'd totally agree with what Arch says. I've been astounded by the 95% success rate with this technique - it really does seem to give off a pretty powerful signal to those behind you.

Frequent obvious looks behind you , followed by a signal to make it abundantly clear, and you're away !

asterix

Comrade Member
When driving my car I much prefer cyclists who are confident and indicate what they want to do. I don't object to slowing down any more than I would if it was another motor vehicle doing the manoevre so long as they are clear in their intention.

Bodhbh

Guru
Bit of confidence seem to gradually just come to you. Been actively avoiding traffic, but sometimes just cba or end up in it inadvertently and found can actually be fun to navigate it.

Do find heavy traffic intimidating still and have gotten out my depth a couple of times last week failing to anticipate. Found myself in the middle of a 3 lane double roundabout and rushhour and very tired yesterday which was a bit hairy.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Smeggers said:
I always think if you're a driver as well your [bike] road skills will come naturally.

If you're a good driver, yes.... Some drivers I see, I wouldn't like to see them on a bike either!

And vice versa. An experienced cyclist should be a better driver for it. Hence I feel all learners should be forced to go out for sessions on a bike.

Smeggers

Arch said:
If you're a good driver, yes.... Some drivers I see, I wouldn't like to see them on a bike either!

And vice versa. An experienced cyclist should be a better driver for it. Hence I feel all learners should be forced to go out for sessions on a bike.
Yeh I agree completely, although dont necesssarily have to be "good" as long as there at least a small amount of 'awareness' there. So much more alert somehow, thats driving and cycling.

Top Bottom