Road Disc Rim Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BillyS79

I'm having some wheels handbuilt and trying to work out which rims to spec. In the Bontrager 'pick two' scenario, strong is most important, followed by light. That said, I'd prefer to keep my build to around £600 for the set if poss, so I guess I'm looking at rims up to around £150 apiece.

These will be disc brake road wheels, to be ridden fast and hard and tarmac and sometimes gravel, but well maintained; I ride tubes on 23/25mm rubber currently, but the option to go tubeless in the future would be a bonus. Though I realise tubeless-ready rims are often wider and don't want to end up with something that's going to be a nightmare getting clinchers on and off of in the cold and wet.

Currently weighing up -

H+Son Hydra or Archetype, HED Belgium, Pacenti SL25, DT Swiss RR411

I'd be glad to hear from any riders or builders with experience of those rims, or indeed suggestions of better alternatives to me list. Thanks in advance for any help.
Billy

I'm very happy with my Stan's Grail rims (disc-specific, tubeless). Tyres are easy to fit (including some 25mm clinchers I put on as an experiment).

I considered HED Belgium at the time but my wheel builder wasn't a fan. I also considered Archetypes, but they're allegedlly not striclty tubeless-ready, but do work. The Grails are holding out very well and the wheels have so far done 21,000km on the velvety smooth* tarmac of the Yorkshire Dales.

*In selected places; some roads are less velvety and the wheels have held up perfectly.

betty swollocks

large member
I have a handbuilt bike for road riding but with a bit of off road capability. Tubeless, running Schwalbe G+1's
The wheel builder recommended either the Pacentis or Hydras and in the end chose the latter, very impressed as he was, with their quality.
I certainly like them and mounting the tyres tubeless is, with a tubeless blaster like this not a faff at all.

I've built on Archetypes and Pacenti SL25s which are both excellent.

My current favourite is the Asymetric Pacenti Forza rim which gives a more even spoke tension between drive side and non-drive side. Also on a disc front wheel your spoke tensions between the disc-side and non-disc sides would be much closer.

Graham

Top Bottom