Road / Gravel e-bike for under 3k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richtea

We have one ebikemotion and one Fazua. The short version of how they compare is:

The Boardman is a marginally better design overall, IMHO, but at a correspondingly higher price.
The Orbea is better than I expected. I bought it nearly-new as an experiment - expecting to sell it again, but I love it.
Just supposing they were the same price, I'd buy a Boardman/Fazua, but it's not that much better that I'd swap over now.

Even though the bikes are the most basic models available, compared to a 20 year-old steel tourer neither will disappoint. They're close to the weight of a Dawes Super Galaxy (maybe 1-2Kgs more), and they basically let you tackle rides you would have done, well, 20 years ago.

The long version:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/orbea-gain.229793/page-63

The only update to that is that the 2021 Orbeas are even tidier with hidden cables and built-in lights, with a £100-150(?) price hike. I'd probably pay for that - it's sweet.
And if you're going Fazua, try and get a model with the latest battery retention clip. If not, it can be retro-fitted for £130-150. You might be able to argue for the bike shop to help on that cost.

T4tomo

Guru
x1 Drivetrain is not an issue on these eBikes with more support, my current road bike is 105/Ultegra and I'm actually thinking about x1 setup for the road bike as not having the front mech to faff with is quite nice.
I have 1x on my "winter bike" which is also my gravel bike, a bought 2nd hand Pinnacle arkose. (I have 2 sets of wheels so no need to faff changing tyres for on/offroad use). As it was built to a budget pre Apex 1x11, its got TPR hydro brakes and a bar end shifter for a 1x10 set up. I find it refreshingly easy having a 10 gears "all in row" and not worrying about a front change. The bar end shift didn't take much getting used to and was a small compromise to get hydro brakes on drop bars at the price point. I think my highest gear is 38x11, but I've not missed a few ratios at that top end and I have nice low climbing gears.

I'm waffling, but the gist is that a 1x set up, with modern wide ratio cassettes is decent option for most "leisure" cyclists whether ebike or not.

OP
OP
N

NowAvoidingHills

Lots of interesting reading thanks all.

I guess my mind is now saying either buy the Orbea at £2999 or go for the Boardman at £2150 with all the discounts I can get one way or the other. Is the Orbea worth another £700!? :blush:

gzoom

Über Member
Lots of interesting reading thanks all.

I guess my mind is now saying either buy the Orbea at £2999 or go for the Boardman at £2150 with all the discounts I can get one way or the other. Is the Orbea worth another £700!? :blush:

£700 buys you better wheels, better saddle, etc. The Fazua motor and in general mid drive motors are more complex engineering items than hub motors found in the Orbea, and allows for true torque measures. If the Orbea was cheaper I would say you have a hard decision, but with it the otherway round I wouldn't think twice about getting the Boardman.

richtea

As gzoom says, the Orbea/ebikemotion is generally the cheaper option.
I'd definitely go Boardman, and keep the spare for playing with extras/upgrades, as suggested above.

gzoom

Über Member
Just for interest I thought I try out 'rocket' mode on the Fazua going up the steepest hill around me - not that long but at 16% in places I've passed people walking up it!

The result I took nearly 20 seconds off my best time for a 60 second climb, and I recon I could have gone quicker as my gearing wasn't 100% right for the motor support! I don't know about the Orbea, but the Fazua motor certainly provides more than enough grunt to the point with max support for most hill (so 10% gradients) really require very little effort.

50837817817_1f59473dd4_c_d.jpg
50837817682_e4990b9a22_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NowAvoidingHills

That's quite a margin and is exactly what I need to give me that incentive to get back up them hills again! ^_^

I'm still being undecisive anyway I'm afraid. I should probably just stop looking and take the plunge but then I see a Gain D31 2020 model up for just £2339 and a D30 2020 for £2599 and the thought process starts all over again.

I don't know what's pulling me away from Boardman, perhaps because I've had bad experiences with Halfords in the past and never really thought they are up to much rightly or wrongly.

At this rate they'll be no bikes available at all! I doubt you would stand much chance of getting anything direct from Europe at the moment. A lot of companies have put a hold on shipping completely while they sort out the mess that is Brexit and all the new customs requirements they have to adhere too!!! :wacko:

gzoom

Über Member
@NowAvoidingHills Good luck deciding but the sooner you go for it the sooner you get to enjoy a dimension to cycling.

I honestly cannot believe how much I have used my eBike since getting it. Never appreciated how nice cycling on unlit roads are in the middle of January.

Having the electrical assistance to bail you out means things excuses like wind, rain, hills, luggage melt away, which means more time on the bike :smile:.

Just flip a coin if you really cannot decide!

50838865907_110f472522_k_d.jpg

OP
OP
N

NowAvoidingHills

Lets throw a spanner into the mix here......now come across the Bergamont E-Grandurance Elite!

There is a 2021 model available for 3.1K from the RRP of 3.5K which I need to get to the cycle shop on by the COB today! Slightly over budget but would anybody consider this over and above the 2021 Gain?

Its a great looking bike but not too familiar with the brand but understand they are big on the continent and are part of Scott. The only thing that I didn't like is the look of some of the welds.

1610875941889.png

T4tomo

Guru
Lets throw a spanner into the mix here......now come across the Bergamont E-Grandurance Elite!

There is a 2021 model available for 3.1K from the RRP of 3.5K which I need to get to the cycle shop on by the COB today! Slightly over budget but would anybody consider this over and above the 2021 Gain?

Its a great looking bike but not too familiar with the brand but understand they are big on the continent and are part of Scott. The only thing that I didn't like is the look of some of the welds.

View attachment 569304
looks like its been welded by a blind monkey on a friday on its way to the pub. Look at the finish on the Boardman and get it bought.

A mid drive is much more versatile (vs the Orbea hub drive) as you can then easily haev 2 sets of wheels, one for road tyres, one for offroad. The Boardman at £2.7k is defo a better buy.

OP
OP
N

NowAvoidingHills

Well I went and ordered an Orbea D30 GRX! It was always a close call but I just preferred the look of it over the Boardman at the end of the day so lets hope I don't live to regret it! ^_^:blush::tongue:

Will let you know how I get on once I have it.

Thanks all! :bicycle:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Just for interest I thought I try out 'rocket' mode on the Fazua going up the steepest hill around me - not that long but at 16% in places I've passed people walking up it!

The result I took nearly 20 seconds off my best time for a 60 second climb, and I recon I could have gone quicker as my gearing wasn't 100% right for the motor support! I don't know about the Orbea, but the Fazua motor certainly provides more than enough grunt to the point with max support for most hill (so 10% gradients) really require very little effort.
The fazua motor will take me (117kg at last weigh in) and my Cube Agree hybrid size 56 with 50/34 and 11-32 gearing (15kg as I have it) up 15% hills. I almost made it up a 21% near Brands Hatch, but my legs and lungs gave out xx(, I misread the info on the route I had planned :blink::sweat:.

Top Bottom