Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richtea

Well spotted Scaleyback. I have 2 Orbea Gains (D50 & F40), and Ms Richtea has the women's Boardman HYB 8.9e.
The Gain D50 is virtually new, and F40 is bust (eBay bargain/project). It's in the throes of being fixed.

Some history - both purchases were to replace our 20-30 year-old tourers, and the split in choice was financial.
The aim was to get lightweight ebikes - & therefore light but sufficient assistance.

Summary
The Boardman is a marginally better design overall, but at a correspondingly higher price.
The Orbea is better than I expected. I bought it nearly-new as an experiment - expecting to sell it again, but I love it.
Just supposing they were the same price, I'd buy a Boardman/Fazua, but it's not that much better that I'd swap over now.

Even though the bikes are the most basic models available, compared to a 20 year-old steel tourer neither will disappoint. They're close to the weight of a Dawes Super Galaxy (maybe 1-2Kgs more), and they basically let you tackle rides you would have done, well, 20 years ago.

Design
Boardman (Fazua):
- very tidy hub drive & battery design. Properly thought out. Weight is centralised.
- removable battery for easy charging
- better battery connector. Again properly thought out.
- easy to go up & down power levels
- standard wheels (no hub motor) so you can swap wheel sets, if you want
- original battery removal mechanism could be better. I'm OK with it, but a lot of people dislike it, and Fazua have now improved it.
- the hub drive bolts can work loose. Easy to fix if you know how to use a Torx key, worrying if you don't.
- you can't switch the battery on from the handlebar controller. You have to switch the battery on itself first, then insert it. However, it will then stay on idle for 8 hours, so not a big problem.
- pedal backwards and you get a loud clicking noise from the centre hub freewheel. You just learn not to.

Orbea Gain (ebikemotion):
- lighter weight system (but it's only marginal)
- the Orbea is more of a standard ebike design, but well hidden (battery in frame, motor in rear wheel hub)
- non-removable battery (a problem in mid-winter if you have a cold garage like us - you have to bring the bike into the house to charge it)
- 1-button controller cycles through the power settings 1,2,3,0, 1,2,3,0..., not as nice as being able to go up & down with a single click (flat bar Orbeas come with an up/down controller like the Fazua, but not the drop bar models)
- Orbea wheels seem so-so quality with only 1x lacing, but I am a very heavy rider so others may be fine with the standard wheels

Both have mudguard and rack mounting points, and room for wide tyres, so they're very practical if you add the extras.
Both are near-silent, and both roll freely with the assistance off.
Both have 250W motors. Plenty enough for us.

Power
On the flat and gentle inclines/small hills both are a joy to ride. They're both smooth, they both ease off at 15.5mph+ with no issues.
The power levels are customisable on both systems' apps, but we haven't needed to fiddle.

The Boardman seems to give better power at low speeds, ie. crawling up very steep hills, whereas the Gain power decreases at very low speeds. The power is still there, but ideally you need to pedal the Orbea at say 6mph or more, so very steep hills can be a challenge. I get up them (which I couldn't do previously), but you definitely work up a sweat.
I think the difference is that the Boardman/Fazua has a torque sensor to decide how much power to dispense, whereas the Gain just senses the rear wheel rotation - which is necessarily slow up steep hills.

Battery life
Tricky, this one. The Boardman seems to use up battery quicker, but I think it's purely down to Ms Richtea using it more often than I do. She manages 40-50 miles on a charge, I manage 80-100, but that's because I only switch on for the steeper hills. Neither range limits us at the moment.

Reliability
- too early to say. No real problems, but from my second Orbea I can see it's possible that some people might mess up the wheel removal/replacing. The Orbea motor wire needs to be positioned correctly (but copious instructions are given in the handbook).
- Both are completely custom systems, so most/all repairs will have to use OEM parts and the official dealer. That may change in the long term if enough units are sold to create a 3rd party market.

Parts
- I've never needed to buy parts for the Boardman, but some Orbea parts seem a little rare. Not clear why, but possibly all the parts are going into new bikes during Covid-19.

Price
- Fazuas are pricey, with Boardman and Canyon being the 'bargains' at £2200 - 2800
- Orbeas (ebikemotion) are generally £1900 - 2400 for the basic models, a significant saving

Last edited:

richtea

Re: Fazua:
> - you can't switch the battery on from the handlebar controller. You have to switch the battery on itself first, then insert it.

Fazua have just announced a fix for that:
https://fazua.com/en/drive-system/evation/evation-remotes/

> Battery on/off**
Available on Remote fX for serial numbers > 4211203001
And next year on the new Remote bX

Future Fazua purchasers should look for these improvements when buying. Current owners will have to shell out, though.

Seeing such improvements from Fazua (and on the redesigned battery release mechanism) reminds me that they're making an effort, and that the ebikemotion design seems quite static. Another tick to Fazua for 'continuous improvement'.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Thanks ‘richtea’ that’s really interesting.
I am a big fan of Chris Boardman (great bloke) and Boardman bikes and have previously owned two. I believe CB has ‘sold up’ and doesn’t own the brand now ?
I owned the Boardman 8.9 Adventure prior to me getting my Gain D30. The equivalent ‘E’ bike is the one I would go for Boardman 8.9E.
I have read quite a bit about owners struggling with the Fazua battery pack installation/removal and locking. Good to hear they have sorted/are sorting it out.
Compared to my Gain, I like the removable battery and the mid drive purely because it makes wheel upgrade easy. These GR Ready wheels on my Gain are poorly built and let the bike down. Reassuring to see the Boardman is supplied with my ‘tyres of choice’ the Schwalbe G-One (great tyres)
However, I cannot really justify a 3rd bike (2nd e-bike) so I will have to admire from a distance.

richtea

I am a big fan of Chris Boardman (great bloke) and Boardman bikes and have previously owned two. I believe CB has ‘sold up’ and doesn’t own the brand now ?

These GR Ready wheels on my Gain are poorly built and let the bike down. Reassuring to see the Boardman is supplied with my ‘tyres of choice’ the Schwalbe G-One (great tyres)

However, I cannot really justify a 3rd bike (2nd e-bike) so I will have to admire from a distance.

Yup, Boardman has been wholely owned by Halfords since 2014.

And agreed on both your other points!

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Has anyone found a solution to stop the ebikemotion app crashing?
Short answer: No - Never know what to expect after the latest 'upgrade'. I've found it quite unreliable recently after a longish stable period. Just take comfort that IME it used to be worse!

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Anyone else finding the EBM app taking ages to load - and I do mean ages - many, many minutes. Is there an easy fix? Uninstall and reinstall?

Scaleyback

Veteran
Anyone else finding the EBM app taking ages to load - and I do mean ages - many, many minutes. Is there an easy fix? Uninstall and reinstall?

Sorry for the late reply. I only use the app to check battery levels before I ride but I haven’t noticed any downgrade in performance. Just checked my battery now and the app was pretty quick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Cheers - think I'll try reinstalling it. Have seen the latest Gains? Much tidier looking.

Somerford

Regular
Update just received Orbea Range Extender and getting error code BMS 194 ... blinking purple .. haven’t even used it yet...so disappointing... I’ve contacted Mikes Bikes whom I purchased it from but lately their customer service has been slow at best and poor at worse... also emailed Mahle and Orbea... there is a Quality Control green Sticker’s the bottom of battery but apparently that’s useless ... see pics
I have had the same problem. My LBS has replaced two Range Extender Batteries within weeks of one another. A third is awaited from Orbea, Spain. It seems there is a serious problem with these batteries and Irbea are trying to resolve this. Sadly not a good advert for the Orbea Gain which I must admit has been absolutely brilliant for me so far.
Let’s hope they resolve it soon.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

No I haven’t. Just had a look at the 2020 D30 (105) same as mine. I cannot see any difference ?
Perhaps just the carbon framed versions 2021 Gains. Hidden cables. lighting, updated electrics. BTW glad I didn't get a range extender yet, given the problem some are having with them.

richtea

Perhaps just the carbon framed versions 2021 Gains. Hidden cables. lighting, updated electrics. BTW glad I didn't get a range extender yet, given the problem some are having with them.
Most of D models* also have the hidden cables, even the basic D50:
https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/ebikes/road/gain/cat/gain-d50

The internal cable design is very tidy, I have to say. And you get a display and lights included.
Now slightly jealous.

*But not the very cheapest:
https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/ebikes/road/gain/cat/gain-d50-lr-20

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Re: Fazua:
> - you can't switch the battery on from the handlebar controller. You have to switch the battery on itself first, then insert it.

Fazua have just announced a fix for that:

> Battery on/off**
Available on Remote fX for serial numbers > 4211203001
And next year on the new Remote bX

Future Fazua purchasers should look for these improvements when buying. Current owners will have to shell out, though.

Seeing such improvements from Fazua (and on the redesigned battery release mechanism) reminds me that they're making an effort, and that the ebikemotion design seems quite static. Another tick to Fazua for 'continuous improvement'.
The remote switch bX or fX on only works with the new X battery from what I've read. :sad:

richtea

The remote switch bX or fX on only works with the new X battery from what I've read. :sad:
I think the remotes all still work with old batteries. It's just the extra features that will only work on the new battery - i.e. ability to switch battery on/off from the controller. See here for matrix:

Remote fX + battery on/off feature supported?:
- Yes for serial numbers > 4211203001 and only in combination with a Battery 250 X (available from Nov. 2020)

Remove bX + battery on/off feature supported?:
- Yes, only in combination with a Battery 250 X (available from Nov. 2020)

Top Bottom