Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Southernguns

Has anyone used a trainer or roller with a Gain? can you please recommend something
Yes, when I had a bike fit I was on a trainer for about 2 hours. It worked fine but I did leave the power off (well turned on but with the light on but on the white light setting so no power is going to the back wheel).

JRTemple

Biking Enthusiast!
So I had my first blow out on Monday, 30 miles in to a 50 mile ride and hit a pot hole, it was the pot hole or a van who must have liked my bum in tight Lycra because he was bloody close :cursing:
Ripped a hole in the tyre and nothing I could do other than call the wife, I'm going to pay for this for months :hyper:
So I bought some Continental 5000 tyres and fitted them, the front went on fine but the rear is fighting back :boxing:
Just as I thought is was all sorted and took the bike out for a quick trip to check all is OK before a longer ride tomorrow and the air is escaping out of 1 spoke?
Could it be a damaged rim when I hit the pot hole?
I've checked the tyre, valve, pressure all ok?
I've bought some tape which arrives tomorrow but I will miss my early morning ride :angry::bicycle:
Any thoughts?

richtea

My D50 came with tubeless-ready rims, and tubeless-ready tyres: Blackjack Ready GR rims + Hutchinson 11 Storm Fusion5 Tubeless Ready.
But when I removed the tyres it had a tube in there. Result! (well, in my humble opinion anyway)

The rim & tyre seem well suited - the tyre was a tight fit, but it didn't take any extra tools to remove it.

Anyway, my long-winded point is:
- try adding a tube

doctorf

Has anyone else had a problem with not being able to turn their Gain on. I've had mine for 18 month or so and recently it's developed this issue. I've been able to fix it by plugging the charger in (light comes on) then leaving it for a minute or so before going out on a ride. However, today I left home with a 100% charge but then stopped off for 5 minutes or so. When I tried to turn the bike back on it failed to do so, so ended up riding/pushing the 25 miles back home with it switched off. Painful. Plugged it in when I finally arrived , light came on straight away and app shows battery still has 81% charge!
Hi Steve,
I have developed a very similar problem.
At first it would only switch on by plugging the charger in.
Now I can switch on, but when I switch off with either of the TWOCs, it switches back on again within 10 seconds.
I can ride it fine, but there is an obvious fault.
I have no local dealer who can look at it for many weeks and I suspect they will not be able to sort it out that easily anyway without replacing parts.
A reboot button would be a great help, or access to the mechanic's app.

Last edited:

Scaleyback

Veteran
I have just read on the MAHLE ebikemotion page under ‘USERS’ a list of
advice/recommendations that include:-
How to calibrate the battery.
Advice is to periodically discharge the battery to 0% before recharging to 100%.

First time I have read this ! and I have certainly never done it. In fact in almost 3,000 miles I don’t think my battery has ever been below 25% ?

Do other Gain owners practice this ?
Anyone know why would the battery need calibrating and possible repercussions of not doing so. Thoughts ?

doctorf

Well quite unbelievably the problem with not being able to switch off has been sorted by allowing the battery to go flat and then re-charging.
I don't really understand how this is possible but who cares!

doctorf

Well quite unbelievably the problem with not being able to switch off has been sorted by allowing the battery to go flat and then re-charging.
I don't really understand how this is possible but who cares!
Edit:
I just looked at the bike and it has switched itself back on.
Booked into a dealer in a couple of weeks but I'm not optimistic that they will be able to sort it without a fault code on the app.

RikF30

I'm new on this thread, and recently bought a F30 gain. I have noticed that battery performance/capacity from 50% to 0% is markedly less that the upper 50% (ie 100% to 50%). Worse the telemetry from the app, on at least 2 occasions, shows the battery dropping from about 20% to 5% in 100m. Any thoughts or feedback on battery capacity appreciated. Note also i dont expect linear discharge from the battery but the drop off is very significant. Whereas the top half gives me 40-50 km (always at level one) the bottom half struggles to provide power for 20km.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Wish I could help you RikF30. The 3,000 miles I have completed on my Gain have almost exclusively been between 100% and approx 40% battery and 90+% of that between 85% and 40%. I started charging up to approx 85% a few months into ownership. I haven’t noticed any significant difference in battery performance/capacity throughout the range of use.

Last edited:

JRTemple

Biking Enthusiast!
mine is pretty consistent all the way through, 50% at around 30 miles in and 30 miles later i'm on 10% as long as I don't increase it from level 1, it's like MPG on a car, if you do the first half driving sensibly then put it in sports mode your MPG will decrease

Southernguns

I'm new on this thread, and recently bought a F30 gain. I have noticed that battery performance/capacity from 50% to 0% is markedly less that the upper 50% (ie 100% to 50%). Worse the telemetry from the app, on at least 2 occasions, shows the battery dropping from about 20% to 5% in 100m. Any thoughts or feedback on battery capacity appreciated. Note also i dont expect linear discharge from the battery but the drop off is very significant. Whereas the top half gives me 40-50 km (always at level one) the bottom half struggles to provide power for 20km.
I noticed a very rapid drop from 20% - 0% the first time I let it go that low. I have let it drop to 0% once since and this time is was much more what I would expect. I cannot comment anymore than this as all other times it is kept above 30%.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Similar happened to me too. Was down to less than 20% at the end of a long ride and increased assistance level to help tired legs over last mile or so up a long drag. Instead of helping all power rapidly drained and I had to finish the ride painfully without help. I've not needed to drop that low since so don't know whether this was a one off occurrence or not.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Here are the results of a unscientific test I did on the performance of my Orbea Gain battery.
Hopefully this may help potential buyers and pertinent to a few recent posts will include my findings on the performance of the battery
when on it's last 25% of charge.
As with all e-bikes the largest single variable is the rider, and so for newcomers here who haven't 'slogged' their way through 60 odd pages
I include the following. I am 73 years of age and approx 71kgs. The last few years I have ridden 4,000- 5,000 miles a year shared between
my Gain and an indoor trainer setup with a dedicated bike on a Tacx Neo smart trainer.
My Gain is a 2019 D30 (shimano 105) which has completed 2,885 largely 'blameless' miles. It is fitted with full mudguards
and rides on 38mm 'gravel' tyres. On the road with water bottle and my added accessories it weighs approx 16.5 kgs !
I ride almost exclusively in the lowest assistance setting and I have my 'engine settings' at Lowest=90%. Medium=80%. High=70%.

This 'test' came about after reading the MAHLE ebikemotion page advice/recommendations that include:-
"How to calibrate the battery: Advice is to periodically discharge the battery to 0% before recharging to 100%

Prior to this test my battery had never been discharged to 0% and has been overwhelmingly used in the 25>85% range.
So my battery was 'run down' to 0% and charged to 100% and for clarity I will detail my 7 rides over 10 days.

Miles/ Time/ Avg speed/ Elevation Gain/ Battery used/ Battery remaining
1. 19.89 1:15:14 15.9mph 558ft 12% 88%
2. 23.99 1:27:53 16.4mph 774ft 13% 75%
3. 16.50 1:00:49 16.3mph 449ft 12% 63%
4. 23.37 1:30:12 15.5mph 1,247ft 22% 41%
5. 19.15 1:09:34 16.5mph 891ft 14% 27%
6. 19.13 1:07:00 17.1mph 890ft 11% 16%
7. 19.15 1:08:53 16.7mph 892ft 11% 5%
(N:B Ride 5/6/7 same route)
Totals.......................................................................
141.18 Miles 16.34 Avg speed 5701 feet 95% used 5% remaining

Observations. I have to be happy with the total mileage but not a lot of climbing involved (bearing in mind the mileage)
The total mileage would fall significantly as the Elevation gained increased.
Ride 7 I felt 'knackered' from the start, borne out by comparison with ride 6 but 11% battery used on both rides ?
All rides only lowest assistance used.
Rides 5/6/7 were chosen to gauge battery performance over the same course/conditions over the last 27% of remaining battery charge.
I see no significant difference in these 3 rides, and my battery seems to discharge linearly ?

I guess battery discharge may seem inordinately high towards the end of a ride, if you have maybe increased the assistance level ?
You are tired and your cadence has slowed ? I understand the Gain motor balances power output against rider input based on cadence.
There is no torque sensor as on some e-bikes.
Ok, I have filled an hour or two and exercised my tiny brain doing this but feel free to tell me if you think I'm talking 'tosh'

P.S Oops ! I tabulated the Miles / Time / Avg Speed etc and it shows fine on my hard copy but after submission the tabulation is missing ? Hope it makes sense ?

Last edited:

Southernguns

Here are the results of a unscientific test I did on the performance of my Orbea Gain battery.
Hopefully this may help potential buyers and pertinent to a few recent posts will include my findings on the performance of the battery
when on it's last 25% of charge.
As with all e-bikes the largest single variable is the rider, and so for newcomers here who haven't 'slogged' their way through 60 odd pages
I include the following. I am 73 years of age and approx 71kgs. The last few years I have ridden 4,000- 5,000 miles a year shared between
my Gain and an indoor trainer setup with a dedicated bike on a Tacx Neo smart trainer.
My Gain is a 2019 D30 (shimano 105) which has completed 2,885 largely 'blameless' miles. It is fitted with full mudguards
and rides on 38mm 'gravel' tyres. On the road with water bottle and my added accessories it weighs approx 16.5 kgs !
I ride almost exclusively in the lowest assistance setting and I have my 'engine settings' at Lowest=90%. Medium=80%. High=70%.

This 'test' came about after reading the MAHLE ebikemotion page advice/recommendations that include:-
"How to calibrate the battery: Advice is to periodically discharge the battery to 0% before recharging to 100%

Prior to this test my battery had never been discharged to 0% and has been overwhelmingly used in the 25>85% range.
So my battery was 'run down' to 0% and charged to 100% and for clarity I will detail my 7 rides over 10 days.

Miles/ Time/ Avg speed/ Elevation Gain/ Battery used/ Battery remaining
1. 19.89 1:15:14 15.9mph 558ft 12% 88%
2. 23.99 1:27:53 16.4mph 774ft 13% 75%
3. 16.50 1:00:49 16.3mph 449ft 12% 63%
4. 23.37 1:30:12 15.5mph 1,247ft 22% 41%
5. 19.15 1:09:34 16.5mph 891ft 14% 27%
6. 19.13 1:07:00 17.1mph 890ft 11% 16%
7. 19.15 1:08:53 16.7mph 892ft 11% 5%
(N:B Ride 5/6/7 same route)
Totals.......................................................................
141.18 Miles 16.34 Avg speed 5701 feet 95% used 5% remaining

Observations. I have to be happy with the total mileage but not a lot of climbing involved (bearing in mind the mileage)
The total mileage would fall significantly as the Elevation gained increased.
Ride 7 I felt 'knackered' from the start, borne out by comparison with ride 6 but 11% battery used on both rides ?
All rides only lowest assistance used.
Rides 5/6/7 were chosen to gauge battery performance over the same course/conditions over the last 27% of remaining battery charge.
I see no significant difference in these 3 rides, and my battery seems to discharge linearly ?

I guess battery discharge may seem inordinately high towards the end of a ride, if you have maybe increased the assistance level ?
You are tired and your cadence has slowed ? I understand the Gain motor balances power output against rider input based on cadence.
There is no torque sensor as on some e-bikes.
Ok, I have filled an hour or two and exercised my tiny brain doing this but feel free to tell me if you think I'm talking 'tosh'

P.S Oops ! I tabulated the Miles / Time / Avg Speed etc and it shows fine on my hard copy but after submission the tabulation is missing ? Hope it makes sense ?
Wow, at 73 that is pretty impressive riding. My average speeds are about the same but my battery use is much higher. I have put my battery power settings back to 100% on all three levels currently due to my back playing up again and wanting max assistance, but even so my battery drain is normally around 1.5x the distance I have ridden with similar elevation gain to yourself. Eg a 20 mile ride would drain 30% of the battery when used on its lowest level.

It makes an interesting read and thank you for all your time and effort Scaley.

Scaleyback

Veteran
B
Wow, at 73 that is pretty impressive riding. My average speeds are about the same but my battery use is much higher. I have put my battery power settings back to 100% on all three levels currently due to my back playing up again and wanting max assistance, but even so my battery drain is normally around 1.5x the distance I have ridden with similar elevation gain to yourself. Eg a 20 mile ride would drain 30% of the battery when used on its lowest level.

It makes an interesting read and thank you for all your time and effort Scaley.

" Wow, at 73 that is pretty impressive riding "

Thanks Neil, you are too kind :smile:
I have lost a 'fair bit' in the last couple of years, :whistle: I cannot keep my output so high for so long and I don't recover as quickly, c'est la vie.
I wasn't trying to impress, I know many old (older) guys who 'blow me away' When looking at e-bike performance the usual question is
" how many miles do you get out of the battery " so potential 'Gain' newcomers need to factor in the rider plus the terrain and conditions of course
so I tried to give a reasonable overview.
Ride On my friend.

Top Bottom