Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pettsy74

Just wanted to say hi , new to the forum but read through a lot of this thread and think it will be a valuable resource and may well be picking your brains over the next few months . I have my 2020 M20 due to be delivered tomorrow . Fingers crossed I’ve bagged myself a steal because I’ve managed to pick up a ex demo for 2300 which seems like a ridiculous saving on new , especially for the current model . I’ve been half expecting the store to ring me and tell me they’d priced it wrong but it’s been picked up by the couriers and is enroute so I’m now allowing myself to get excited !! I ll let you all know how I get on with it in next couple of days !!

JRTemple

Biking Enthusiast!
Just wanted to say hi , new to the forum but read through a lot of this thread and think it will be a valuable resource and may well be picking your brains over the next few months . I have my 2020 M20 due to be delivered tomorrow . Fingers crossed I’ve bagged myself a steal because I’ve managed to pick up a ex demo for 2300 which seems like a ridiculous saving on new , especially for the current model . I’ve been half expecting the store to ring me and tell me they’d priced it wrong but it’s been picked up by the couriers and is enroute so I’m now allowing myself to get excited !! I ll let you all know how I get on with it in next couple of days !!

Thats a great deal, I just paid £2700 for a 2019 model, enjoy your bike, I am :smile:

TouchingCloth

Regular
Morning All,
Had my gain a month now, it came with mavic aksium with tubless tyres, but on getting my first puncture I discovered it also had tubes fitted. It was incredibly difficult to re fit the tyre, not only getting it back on the rim, but making sure the bead on the tyre located in the groove in the rim all around the wheel to prevent the flat spots. Lots of soapy water and sore fingers eventually got it back on at home, but at the roadside it was a nightmare.
I considered converting to run as a tubless, but the first puncture was a rusty nail that entered the tyre and was rattling around inside, I'd have had to remove the tyre anyway. I have since had 5 more punctures, all in the rear and 3 additional trapped innertubes while attempting refitting the tyres. Snapped 6 tyre levers and destroyed the wheel decals in the process. I've replaced the inner tube each time rather than patch. No foreign objects in the tyre or damage to rim, so I'm confident its not a recurring issue due to this.
So has anyone else experience so many punctures and such difficulty refitting the tyres. I'm considering purchasing a normal clincher, probably the latest Continental GP5000 as they review as haveing good puncture resistance and its easier to repair at the roadside, but thought I'd see if others had had similar issues. Have I just been unlucky?

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I had a number of punctures early on caused by the badly fitted original rim tape. Changed the tapes for better quality and no problems since. Not sure if this might apply to tubeless ready rims.

Southernguns

Morning All,
Had my gain a month now, it came with mavic aksium with tubless tyres, but on getting my first puncture I discovered it also had tubes fitted. It was incredibly difficult to re fit the tyre, not only getting it back on the rim, but making sure the bead on the tyre located in the groove in the rim all around the wheel to prevent the flat spots. Lots of soapy water and sore fingers eventually got it back on at home, but at the roadside it was a nightmare.
I considered converting to run as a tubless, but the first puncture was a rusty nail that entered the tyre and was rattling around inside, I'd have had to remove the tyre anyway. I have since had 5 more punctures, all in the rear and 3 additional trapped innertubes while attempting refitting the tyres. Snapped 6 tyre levers and destroyed the wheel decals in the process. I've replaced the inner tube each time rather than patch. No foreign objects in the tyre or damage to rim, so I'm confident its not a recurring issue due to this.
So has anyone else experience so many punctures and such difficulty refitting the tyres. I'm considering purchasing a normal clincher, probably the latest Continental GP5000 as they review as haveing good puncture resistance and its easier to repair at the roadside, but thought I'd see if others had had similar issues. Have I just been unlucky?
There's been quite a bit posted on similar issues - I think around pages 11-17 or 18 from memory. It might be worth a look back through those pages. I'm sure Scaley posted a decent explanation on the troubles he had with the tires and why he changed his, and what he changed to.

richtea

There's been quite a bit posted on similar issues - I think around pages 11-17 or 18 from memory. It might be worth a look back through those pages. I'm sure Scaley posted a decent explanation on the troubles he had with the tires and why he changed his, and what he changed to.

You're right, Southernguns. About here, onward (page 16):
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/orbea-gain.229793/page-16#post-5639808

I just bought a barely used D50 with BlackJack Ready GR rims and the Storm11 Hutchinson tyres on.
I'll ride them until they puncture, curse, and then replace. I see no advantage in tubeless, and quite a few disadvantages.

Southernguns

You're right, Southernguns. About here, onward (page 16):
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/orbea-gain.229793/page-16#post-5639808

I just bought a barely used D50 with BlackJack Ready GR rims and the Storm11 Hutchinson tyres on.
I'll ride them until they puncture, curse, and then replace. I see no advantage in tubeless, and quite a few disadvantages.
I have Schwalbe G One all terrain I think. They are tubeless ready but I have tubes in them. I have had 1 slow puncture which managed to get me home. After putting a new tube in they were pretty hard to get the tyre to pop back on using a small hand pump so I ended up using a compressor. I am not looking forward to the day I get a puncture that needs fixing when out on the road as I reckon I will be phoning a taxi.

JRTemple

Biking Enthusiast!
Had my Gain M20 for 3 weeks now and done about 300 miles, no problems with punctures, it came with Nano tyres, I think they are gravel tyres, was think of putting the Yksuon pro road tyres back on? What do you think?

NickWi

Guru
I can't comment on your particular choice of tyres, but my D20 Gain came with Kenda gravel tyres and I very quickly changed them as I just didn't like them. Initially I swapped to 32mm to Schwalbe Marathon Plus, and almost as fast again to 28mm Pirelli road tyres. The difference was truly amazing. Faster, rolled better, easier and as a bonus added a few extra miles to the range. One happy bunny.

Then approaching winter I thought I'd put the gravel tyres back on, you know, more comfort, better grip on muddy roads etc. Yuk, it felt like riding through treacle. They lasted one ride and the Pirellis were back one less than an hour after getting back home, and have stayed on ever since.

Now, it could be that the OEM Kenda Flintridge tyres are crap and there are better gravel tyres available, but if like me you’re primarily using your bike on tarmac then sticking to tyres designed for the job is the way to go.

ScaryFast75

Guys happy to be on this forum, new member from San Antonio Texas... your comments about it being too hot at 32 Celsius cracks me up... in Texans I ride in 33 degrees Celsius plus from June -August . Bought a new old stock Orbea Gain 2019 model D31. Getting approx 40-60 miles depending on level...

richtea

> I just bought a barely used D50 with BlackJack Ready GR rims and the Storm11 Hutchinson tyres on.
> I'll ride them until they puncture, curse, and then replace. I see no advantage in tubeless, and quite a few disadvantages.

I should have qualifed that grumpy note with '... but the tyres are great in use'.
They roll much better my previous bike's Continental Touring tyres, and have just enough suspension at 28mm.
It's only the punctures I'm not looking forward to.

ScaryFast75

Update just received Orbea Range Extender and getting error code BMS 194 ... blinking purple .. haven’t even used it yet...so disappointing... I’ve contacted Mikes Bikes whom I purchased it from but lately their customer service has been slow at best and poor at worse... also emailed Mahle and Orbea... there is a Quality Control green Sticker’s the bottom of battery but apparently that’s useless ... see pics

Attachments

• EA8110A9-D553-472C-AE79-2D95E05243C4.jpeg
    EA8110A9-D553-472C-AE79-2D95E05243C4.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 16
  • C13161F2-E64E-45FD-91A4-D6D17E05D61F.jpg
    C13161F2-E64E-45FD-91A4-D6D17E05D61F.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 19
  • BE7D8EEF-37EB-4714-93B0-6B0DCDDB72CD.jpg
    BE7D8EEF-37EB-4714-93B0-6B0DCDDB72CD.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 15

JRTemple

Biking Enthusiast!
So as previously mentioned my Orbea Gain came with gravel tyres and I’m going to change them for road tyres, I’ve been looking at the Specialized Roubaix Pro Road Tyre anyone used them? Any suggestions?

Top Bottom