Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I changed to Continental GP4000s, 28mm, as that was what I used on my other road bikes. Superseded by GP5000s. I now have 25mm front and 28mm rear fitted.

JRTemple

Biking Enthusiast!
I changed to Continental GP4000s, 28mm, as that was what I used on my other road bikes. Superseded by GP5000s. I now have 25mm front and 28mm rear fitted.

Funny enough I have just changed my mind and purchased Continental Grand Prix 5000 Tyre both in 28mm as they are on offer for £38.99 each and I had a £10 voucher for signing up.

ScaryFast75

Update just received Orbea Range Extender and getting error code BMS 194 ... blinking purple .. haven’t even used it yet...so disappointing... I’ve contacted Mikes Bikes whom I purchased it from but lately their customer service has been slow at best and poor at worse... also emailed Mahle and Orbea... there is a Quality Control green Sticker’s the bottom of battery but apparently that’s useless ... see pics
FYI Mikes Bikes still hasn’t sent me a new one, checked FB reviews very bad lately...avoid this online retailer USA

ScaryFast75

FYI Mikes Bikes still hasn’t sent me a new one, checked FB reviews very bad lately...avoid this online retailer USA
Update I contacted PayPal as I payed them using this method and they stepped in and immediately got a response from Mikes Bikes and they are sending me a new Range Extender.
However on a 47 mile ride today in the hill country in Bourne TX I popped a spoke. Bike only has 318 miles on it. Good news I was able to finish the ride. Taking the bike in for warranty wheel work.

ScaryFast75

pics of the bike spoke popped today on my Orbea Gain d31

Attachments

• 70E36FA4-EA29-40AD-B89D-A387980B3A99.jpeg
    70E36FA4-EA29-40AD-B89D-A387980B3A99.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 16
  • 788FD68A-7895-470E-96B9-825A78D899B2.jpeg
    788FD68A-7895-470E-96B9-825A78D899B2.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 16

richtea

The Gain only has 1x spoke lacing (or at least that's what my D50 has), which isn't ideal for strength.
I'm having my wheels rebuilt in 2-3 weeks time as a precaution, but I do weigh more than the average bear.

I've seen 2x lacing and 3x lacing on eBikeMotion hubs (Cannondale and Bianchi respectively), so it shouldn't be hard to improve on the factory lacing.

I'll to come back to the thread at some point, and let you know how it goes.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Morning All,
Had my gain a month now, it came with mavic aksium with tubless tyres, but on getting my first puncture I discovered it also had tubes fitted. It was incredibly difficult to re fit the tyre, not only getting it back on the rim, but making sure the bead on the tyre located in the groove in the rim all around the wheel to prevent the flat spots. Lots of soapy water and sore fingers eventually got it back on at home, but at the roadside it was a nightmare.
I considered converting to run as a tubless, but the first puncture was a rusty nail that entered the tyre and was rattling around inside, I'd have had to remove the tyre anyway. I have since had 5 more punctures, all in the rear and 3 additional trapped innertubes while attempting refitting the tyres. Snapped 6 tyre levers and destroyed the wheel decals in the process. I've replaced the inner tube each time rather than patch. No foreign objects in the tyre or damage to rim, so I'm confident its not a recurring issue due to this.
So has anyone else experience so many punctures and such difficulty refitting the tyres. I'm considering purchasing a normal clincher, probably the latest Continental GP5000 as they review as haveing good puncture resistance and its easier to repair at the roadside, but thought I'd see if others had had similar issues. Have I just been unlucky?

I have posted before on the difficulty on removing/refitting tyres on my Gain and I see others have struggled.
I purchased this

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A855QRY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and while not being the complete panacea it certainly helped me.

Southernguns

I have been lucky with the spokes so far (touch wood) and I give my D30 quite a hammering over rough gravel rides. Although this is a concern as it does seem to be an issue and will be difficult/expensive to fix.

I have noticed lately that when (not riding the bike) I lift the back wheel and spin it with my hand there is a rattling noise coming from the rear hub or motor with power off and on. I am more inclined to think it is the motor than the hub, but I cannot remember if it has always done this or whether this has developed recently. There does not appear to be any drop in performance and I do not notice it when riding the bike, but that may be because it is not loud enough over wind and road noise. Does anyone have this or are your motor's silky smooth?

NickWi

Guru
I have been lucky with the spokes so far (touch wood) and I give my D30 quite a hammering over rough gravel rides. Although this is a concern as it does seem to be an issue and will be difficult/expensive to fix.

I have noticed lately that when (not riding the bike) I lift the back wheel and spin it with my hand there is a rattling noise coming from the rear hub or motor with power off and on. I am more inclined to think it is the motor than the hub, but I cannot remember if it has always done this or whether this has developed recently. There does not appear to be any drop in performance and I do not notice it when riding the bike, but that may be because it is not loud enough over wind and road noise. Does anyone have this or are your motor's silky smooth?
Mine (1x11 D20) is the same, on the bike smooth as can be, on the stand, like you I can hear a knock. I read elsewhere it's just the magnets connecting and releasing. Whether that is true Ir not I don't know, but my bike is now over two years old, done several thousand miled and runs as good as the day i got it.

Spoke problems, none, well a couple of ones that went dunk instead on ping, but I picked those up during routine cleaning & maintenance checks, once tweaked, no problems since.

Last edited:

Scaleyback

Veteran
Looks like a handy tool - do you carry it with you when out on a ride?

No, in over 2,000 miles I have never had a puncture and I do not carry spare tubes or puncture repair kit. As I have explained before I use ‘Stans NoTubes’ tyre sealant in my inner tubes, maybe I have just been lucky ? 😀
My backup ? I phone my wife and she arrives in the vehicle with my bike rack. Never needed yet.

edit: 2,512 miles

Last edited:

Southernguns

Mine (1x11 D20) is the same, on the bike smooth as can be, on the stand, like you I can hear a knock. I read elsewhere it's just the magnets connecting and releasing. Whether that is true Ir not I don't know, but my bike is now over two years old, done several thousand miled and runs as good as the day i got it.

Spoke problems, none, well a couple of ones that went dunk instead on ping, but I picked those up during routine cleaning & maintenance checks, once tweaked, no problems since.
Thanks for the reply NickWi. Mine sounds more like a gravelly grinding noise rather than a knock but I guess all is okay. It certainly seems to work as it should so I will stop worrying about it.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Hmm ? I can see no problem with rollers but I would take ‘professional’ advice before using your Gain on a trainer with built in resistance (whether smart or manual) Yes you may intend to just switch off the Gain assistance but I think it has been stated on here that cycling with the Gain ‘off’ is not recommended.
I would just get a 2nd ‘cheapo’ bike dedicated to the trainer/rollers.

Top Bottom