Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Due to a house move and an extended hilly commute, I was considering an ebike but would it really be necessary to chip it in this way? I know we are all different but the current regulations seem pretty reasonable to me.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Due to a house move and an extended hilly commute, I was considering an ebike but would it really be necessary to chip it in this way? I know we are all different but the current regulations seem pretty reasonable to me.
No - I don't think so, and it would be illegal to do so of course. But on occasion I would have welcomed another 2-3 mph assistance - when on a club ride on those stretches where the speed drifts up and over 15.5 mph. It can be hard work trying to stay with the group, maintaining that sort of speed over fair distances on what is actually quite a heavy bike. IMO a 20mph assistance level would be more realistic for such e-ROAD bikes.

Slick

Guru
No - I don't think so, and it would be illegal to do so of course. But on occasion I would have welcomed another 2-3 mph assistance - when on a club ride on those stretches where the speed drifts up and over 15.5 mph. It can be hard work trying to stay with the group, maintaining that sort of speed over fair distances on what is actually quite a heavy bike. IMO a 20mph assistance level would be more realistic for such e-ROAD bikes.
Fair enough, enjoy. :okay:

richtea

The 15.5mph limit can be a problem if you're group riding with fit people.
You hit a gentle incline that your group takes at more than 15.5mph, and you'll get no assistance, plus you're moving ~2-4Kg extra weight.

Were that limit a little higher - say 18mph - you'd probably be OK, and be able stick with them.

However, if you're like me and ride with Billy Nomates, you'll be just fine!

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Riding with Billy Nomates myself nowadays - not much choice at the current time 😷

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I think the remotes all still work with old batteries. It's just the extra features that will only work on the new battery - i.e. ability to switch battery on/off from the controller. See here for matrix:
https://fazua.com/en/drive-system/evation/evation-remotes/

Remote fX + battery on/off feature supported?:
- Yes for serial numbers > 4211203001 and only in combination with a Battery 250 X (available from Nov. 2020)

Remove bX + battery on/off feature supported?:
- Yes, only in combination with a Battery 250 X (available from Nov. 2020)
That's what my poorly worded post was meant to say 😕

Last edited:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I may have something very similar on my Fazua equipped bike :whistle:. It works very well, allegedly :unsure:, at assisting the regulation of the of the motor :angel:.

Owing to the way I use the assist on my bike I am very rarely on assist power on the flat up to 6 or 7%. The motor is a bail out mechanism to me for lifting my mammoth weight up the steeper hills.

Southernguns

Hi all. Sorry to change the subject but a quick question - Can anyone recommend some decent mudguards (fenders, for the American contingent) for the Gain D30? I'm fed up with a getting a muddy back.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

I'm using SKS Bluemels Matt 45 Road Mudguards (matt black with mudflaps) on mine. Should be plenty of clearance for 32mm tyres, if required, though I have 25mm front and 28mm back fitted at the moment.

Southernguns

Thank you everyone. You've all been very helpful. It looks like sks are the brand to go with. I am running 35mm tyres so should be okay with any of the suggested models. There are some reports online of the Bluemels cracking due to vibrations caused by the not so smooth British roads. Have any of you guys experienced this?

Top Bottom