Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richtea

Overall avg speed: I ride 25% faster without the motor on (just due to it being a faster bike than my old decrepit MTB)
Love that bit!
I had a similar experience of going from a well-made 20 year old steel audax/tourer to the 'cheapest' Gain.
The Gain is about the same weight, a much tighter ride, and more efficient. I was pleasantly surprised.

The D50 might be cheap, but the kit has moved on in 20 years. I suspect the longevity of the gears, chain, cogs etc, may not be as good as my old bike (Shimano Claris v 20-year old Campag) but I can always replace stuff another year.

steve_57

Hi All

By way of introduction: I am 63 and live on the edge of the Peak District, average size and weight etc. I have been a regular cyclist for as long as I can remember. I had been considering an E-bike for some time due to the general ravages of time and a few mechanical aches and pains.

I was lucky enough to buy an Orbea D20 last March, just before the first UK lockdown.

Before purchase I looked at all the different types but was still unsure which to go for. The things that swung it for the Orbea were that it didn't obviously look like an e-bike and if there wasn't enough power, I could always get the extra battery; something I haven't needed to do. The fact that other manufacturers were also using the same power system helped to instil confidence in it. Price was also a big factor, I could have perhaps stretched for a carbon version, but at the time the more relaxed geometry of the aluminium version decided it for me.

The only thing I didn't like about the bike was the saddle, which may be fine for some, but for me the purchase of a modern Brookes saddle was required. I also had to fit a short 25% raised handlebar stem to help give me a more relaxed riding position, due soley to a medical problem with my back. I have also purchased SKS detachable mudguards which fit in seconds once set up, I am very impressed with them.

I had read that the standard tyres supplied could be very difficult to remove; so I chose to convert them to tubless via the Local bike shop' who also supplied the bike. Two choices I don't regret. It is very reassuring not having to worry too much about punctures, especially on a cold wet day. When I had a small software issue (purple ring) it was very easy to drop it back in for a software update and there have been no problems since.

The D20 enables me to enjoy longer and more frequent rides. I can also enjoy riding with fitter friends without becoming exhausted. I love it!

Scaleyback

Veteran
Hi All

By way of introduction: I am 63 and live on the edge of the Peak District, average size and weight etc. I have been a regular cyclist for as long as I can remember. I had been considering an E-bike for some time due to the general ravages of time and a few mechanical aches and pains.

Welcome Steve,
I have owned my Gain D30 for 2 years, however reading your post I have learnt something, so a software issue announces itself by a purple
ring on the iwoc button does it ? well blow me down.
That's correct about removing the original tyres, I wrote the initial post on that issue when I had to cut the tyres off.
I'm 74, was 72 when I got my Gain and at 70kg and no physical impediments (except said age !) I was concerned that I was buying the Gain too soon and I would lose fitness. I needn't have worried. Most of the time I'm propelling this 16kg (on the road) heavyweight along over 15.5 mph
without assistance and 'struth' that keeps you fit. Like you it allows me to enjoy longer rides over hillier terrain and again like you I love this bike.
I have fixed SKS mudguards (I couldn't get on with the detachable ones) and 35c tyres which combined keep me clean and give a well 'cushioned' ride on our broken roads. Who cares about a little extra weight on an e-bike ?
So keep us up to date with your 'Gain experiences' new blood is very welcome, it's been a bit quiet around here.

Regards
Roy

steve_57

Welcome Steve,
I have owned my Gain D30 for 2 years, however reading your post I have learnt something, so a software issue announces itself by a purple
ring on the iwoc button does it ? well blow me down.
That's correct about removing the original tyres, I wrote the initial post on that issue when I had to cut the tyres off.
I'm 74, was 72 when I got my Gain and at 70kg and no physical impediments (except said age !) I was concerned that I was buying the Gain too soon and I would lose fitness. I needn't have worried. Most of the time I'm propelling this 16kg (on the road) heavyweight along over 15.5 mph
without assistance and 'struth' that keeps you fit. Like you it allows me to enjoy longer rides over hillier terrain and again like you I love this bike.
I have fixed SKS mudguards (I couldn't get on with the detachable ones) and 35c tyres which combined keep me clean and give a well 'cushioned' ride on our broken roads. Who cares about a little extra weight on an e-bike ?
So keep us up to date with your 'Gain experiences' new blood is very welcome, it's been a bit quiet around here.

Regards
Roy

Thanks for the welcome Roy. The purple ring is some sort of 'safe' mode and the guidance is to 'go to dealer' something which might be tricky if you got the bike from a supplier some distance away. As regards tyres, I opted for 28c but will go bulkier to 32c when they need replacing for yet more comfort. It's pretty hilly round my part of the world, it seems like if you are not going up, your going down. Makes for lovely scenery though. The bike was a Godsend through lockdown last summer.

Regards
Steve

richtea

The purple LED can come on randomly if you bomb down a bumpy hill when the system is off. The iWoc button is overly sensitive and some heavy bumps vibration can switch it on. In that particular scenario it seems to indicate the system had trouble initialising whilst the bike was in motion. So if you do see purple, the first step is switch it off, and on again. Very Microsoft. In that particular situation it always recovers for me.

But agreed - in general if the purple stays on for subsequent power-ons, then you have a problem. You usually get an error code in the app, which can be useful to relay to the dealer before you take it in:
https://www.ebikemotion.com/web/error-codes-reference/

Scaleyback

Veteran
The purple LED can come on randomly if you bomb down a bumpy hill when the system is off. The iWoc button is overly sensitive and some heavy bumps vibration can switch it on. In that particular scenario it seems to indicate the system had trouble initialising whilst the bike was in motion. So if you do see purple, the first step is switch it off, and on again. Very Microsoft. In that particular situation it always recovers for me.

But agreed - in general if the purple stays on for subsequent power-ons, then you have a problem. You usually get an error code in the app, which can be useful to relay to the dealer before you take it in:
https://www.ebikemotion.com/web/error-codes-reference/

I assume your words " when the system is off " refer to the system manually switched off as opposed to just not contributing because you ore over 25kph ?
I fail to see why anyone would 'switch the system off' please explain.

richtea

I assume your words " when the system is off " refer to the system manually switched off as opposed to just not contributing because you ore over 25kph ?
I fail to see why anyone would 'switch the system off' please explain.
Yes, I meant sub-25kph.

I don't need assistance except up big hills, so for 90% of my riding it's off. I could put it into the white 'zero assistance' mode, but it's actually quicker to switch it on from scratch that it is to get assistance when in the white zero assistance mode:
- from completely off, it's a single quick press to green level 1
- from white mode, it's one press to enable selection, then one more press to get to green level 1

Two presses means concentrating and checking to see if I accidentally pressed it three times.

I'd have to switch it on at the start of the ride too.

And I'm lazy. :blush:

DeeBy

Just a note for people thinking of buying a 2021 Gain. There is now a small LCD display supplied (on my D40 at least) that has up and down buttons for the assistance level. So the issue of multiple presses of the iWoc button to go down a level is no longer an issue. TBH the multi press doesn't phase me anyway but the display and up/down buttons are more convenient. Thought I'd pass on...

richtea

Excellent, DeeBy! I do like it when they take notice and fix these little wrinkles.
I am now doubly jealous of your 2021 model.

Are the built-in lights decent (i.e. bright enough, offer flashing options, etc)?

DeeBy

Excellent, DeeBy! I do like it when they take notice and fix these little wrinkles.
I am now doubly jealous of your 2021 model.

Are the built-in lights decent (i.e. bright enough, offer flashing options, etc)?
Both bright. Front doesn't illuminate road that well but looks cool. Rear is 11 lumens and front is 60 lumens. Worth noting that on the carbon frame (M) versions the rear light is where the seat post meets the top tube and is slick looking. On the alloy frame (mine) it's a block of red plastic near the top of the seat post. Looks boring and is obscured if you put an under-saddle bag on. You pays your money...

Cannot see a flashing option in the manual but I remember reading something on the net. If I work it out I'll post an update.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Just reading about the D30 2021. Many 'tweaks' including the ebikemotion plus motor. All very nice but the 105 equipped alloy framed D30 now costs £3,099.00 an increase of £500.00. Gulp !

Last edited:

Scaleyback

Veteran
What improvements does the ebm+ offer? Lot of money for an alloy framed bike. Makes the Ribble SLe 105's look very competitive. Same price range for a carbon framed bike with better wheelset.

I agree, this from Orbea's 2021 marketing;
" The aim from the Orbea engineers was to create a power delivery that closely matched the reactions you’d expect from a standard road bike when it comes to pedal inputs – using the latest iteration of ebikemotion’s X35 Plus system. The engine maps between the modes of assistance have also been custom tuned to Orbea’s preferences – again to offer a more natural feel to the ride while still giving you ample assistance when you need it "

I have always thought the phasing in/out of power around the 25kph was really good, but it seems it is better now ? :whistle:

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I have always thought the phasing in/out of power around the 25kph was really good, but it seems it is better now ? :whistle:
Agreed - seems pretty good to me too. I have a friend with a Ribble SLe - they were very helpful in agreeing to fit his Di2 components from his existing bike, and he has been very pleased with it. It could well be my choice if and when I replace my Gain.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Yes, much as I love my Orbea Gain, I wouldn't return due to the abysmal after sales service by Orbea and in my instance the retailer 'Leisure Lakes'
After my battle early on to get info on the spokes I was losing, my 'Ready GR' wheel rims have looked as if they have completed 100,000 miles since about 6 months old ? Despite promises and platitudes from Leisure Lakes and Orbea ( I have now given up) they repeatedly never got back to me. Pretty poor show from a £2,500.00 purchase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom