Road Manners Whilst Riding in Groups

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If it was critical mass(it would have been like 50+ people most likely), look up your local critical mass event blog or something and read their rules of conduct, they dont act like pr*cks on purpose(the whole point is to encourage cycling and the relationship between cyclists and drivers not to piss people off) and have permits to do it based on a number of riders being over a certain amount(manchester 50 riders are required for permit to hold I think). Might help understand what was going on if this was indeed what you came accross.

For example, in manchester critical mass will run reds when the prosession will be broken up at lights i.e if it turns red when some riders are through and others arent, they hold a sign up apologising for the inconvenience. They may cause other inconveniences to, Ive not been , but ive seen the site and seen them all at the bar afterwards near my gym.

Midnight

bobley said:
... In the end I had to just floor it. I got past them but it left me on the wrong side of the road for ages, my engine was banging on the rev limiter (in a mini diesel so it must have sounded awful to them - sorry)...

You had to thrash your engine to pass someone going at 10mph ???

manalog

Über Member
on the road said:
These statements somehow don't sound right. I've done 10 mph when taking it easy cycling through the park or when cycling along the promenade watching out for walkers and believe me this is slow. Somehow I can't see rodies or even MTBers riding that slow on the road, maybe on a mountain trail but not on a road. Even POBs don't ride that slow on the road.

Are you sure you haven't knocked a few miles off to make it sound worse? If they were going any slower they'd fall off! Maybe they were doing 20 mph but you decided to half it for good measure?

I was going to say, I often go on Club Rides and 10mph is way too slow for Roadies unless we're going up a steep hill. Even a clapped out mini Im sure can overtake a vehicle doing 10mph on a flat road unless they are doing 35 mph :eek:

OP
OP
B

bobley

It was give or take 10. I say that because the speedo on the mini is in the middle of the car and the needle was pointing right down at the bottom of the scale near the passengers knee, not really any margin for a parallax error though. It certainly was slow. To be honest it was so slow that when I eventually tried to accelerate the engine bogged and I had to drop it down a gear or maybe two. I cant remember if I ended up grabbing 1st or 2nd but by the time I'd gathered pace I was worrying a bit and wanted to get a move on hence the rev limiter moment. The cyclists at the front knew I was there and there was enough space for us all, it was just a bit like doing a two car overtake which isn't good practice on a back road. I dont think they were intimidated by the move - I was just a bit worried about the noise upsetting them, it wasn't intentional.

Thanks for all the comments. I've learned a lot - from both perspectives.

snorri

Legendary Member
bobley said:
about 20 people, 3/4s of the them running side by side, spread out over a distance slighlty longer than an articulated truck.
I think I can sympathise with bobley. It can be highly dangerous to be on the wrong side of a twisty country road for the time it takes to cover a distance slightly longer than an artic. truck. My first club ride was my last due to my embarrassment at the inconsiderate behaviour of the group who seemed oblivious to the inconvenience they were causing to all motorised traffic when a simple tightening up, or formation of separate bunches would have allowed faster traffic to overtake safely with minimum delay.
Assertive cycling is one thing, but we should also be considerate to other road users.:biggrin:

al78

Guru
on the road said:
These statements somehow don't sound right. I've done 10 mph when taking it easy cycling through the park or when cycling along the promenade watching out for walkers and believe me this is slow. Somehow I can't see rodies or even MTBers riding that slow on the road, maybe on a mountain trail but not on a road. Even POBs don't ride that slow on the road.

Are you sure you haven't knocked a few miles off to make it sound worse? If they were going any slower they'd fall off! Maybe they were doing 20 mph but you decided to half it for good measure?

The social group of the cycling club I belong too goes at 10-12 mph average, so it is not that unbelievable.

I have been taking an hour to get to work the last couple of weeks, that is 9.5 miles and I tend to get a move on if I can.

on the road

Über Member
al78 said:
The social group of the cycling club I belong too goes at 10-12 mph average, so it is not that unbelievable.

I have been taking an hour to get to work the last couple of weeks, that is 9.5 miles and I tend to get a move on if I can.
That's your average speed. The OP wasn't talking about average speed but about current speed on a flat road.

What was your current speed on the flat? I'm sure it would be more than your average speed.

Am I the only one who smells a troll rat?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Your club riders generally ride 2 x 2 and single out, but if there are too many, passing 20 bikes singled out can be a mare. Like others say, 10 mph sounds like CTC. Clubs will be doing 20 plus, or chain gangs 25 plus in an organised rotating 2x2 formation (through and off).........

Debian

I've come across enough groups of cyclists doing exactly what the OP says to know that it happens and it's bloody inconsiderate! Pootling along, two, sometimes three abreast and nattering to each other, fully aware of traffic behind but couldn't give a toss :becool: Yes they have a right to be on the road but there is also a responsibility to be considerate to other road users.

I'm willing to bet that if said group of cyclists came across a gaggle of inconsiderate ramblers tramping along the back lanes and taking up the whole of one side of the road they'd be somewhat annoyed!

Debian

Rob3rt said:
For example, in manchester critical mass will run reds when the prosession will be broken up at lights i.e if it turns red when some riders are through and others arent, they hold a sign up apologising for the inconvenience. They may cause other inconveniences to, Ive not been , but ive seen the site and seen them all at the bar afterwards near my gym.

That's terrible! What gives them the right to hold others up and to break the law? I'd be too embarrassed to ride with any group that did that.

Top Bottom