Road "Pinch Points"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I have noticed there have been a large number of "pinch points" introduced across Glasgow and North Lanarkshire. Some are for bus stops, some pedestrian crossings, and some I'm not exactly sure why. All of them however are really detrimental to my safety; drivers generally proceed as normal, despite the narrowing.

Does anyone else recognise this trend. At least 6 appeared on my 10k commute last year... I don't fully understand why forcing traffic into a single lane makes sense, versus letting a crossing light stay on for seconds longer.

Even as a driver, having to wait behind a bus is surely more inconvenient than paying it and letting one merge back in. Some seem insane, occurring before filtered lights, preventing people selecting a lane.

Does anyone else feel this is a plague?

I don't find them an issue. Take the lane and prevent any overtaking during the pinch. Move into position a few car lengths ahead of the pinch.

Drago

Legendary Member
They removed them all in Milton Keynes because they turned a minor speeding traffic problem into an occasional dead driver problem.

Law abiding motorists see them and give way as required, but its not the law abiding motorists causing the problem. the speeders were encouraged to speed even more, a mad headlong rush to try and just nip through rather than pause for half a second to correctly give priority to the oncoming traffic flow, and this caused some quite spectacular head ons where previously there would have been no conflict.

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
They removed them all in Milton Keynes because they turned a minor speeding traffic problem into an occasional dead driver problem.

Law abiding motorists see them and give way as required, but its not the law abiding motorists causing the problem. the speeders were encouraged to speed even more, a mad headlong rush to try and just nip through rather than pause for half a second to correctly give priority to the oncoming traffic flow, and this caused some quite spectacular head ons where previously there would have been no conflict.
I wonder if i haven't described it correctly, it isn't so much a chicane I'm seeing, but the parking "lane" being paved at a point, coming into the road. It happens both sides, and brings it in, so there is an increased chance of an accident - but most likely someone overtaking me vs a van.

Edit: wonder if this will work
[pre]
| : | : |
\ | /
| | |
/ | \
| : | : |
[/pre]

Edit: no

Last edited:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
We have some silly ones here - mostly to the approaches to roundabouts.

Despite me taking the space in plenty of time, there have been a few motorists that have had near misses, while overtaking me on the wrong side of the road as they approach the junction and not being able to get back in - in time.

One such cock-womble this very morning, in fact.

Ah, you mean one lane for both directions. In theory there should be a sign saying who has priority. If you have priority you should be able to take the lane, but I agree, oncoming vehicles may not give a stuff and barge through.

Luckily I don;t have many of those on my commute. That's because London is awesome.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Ah, you mean one lane for both directions. In theory there should be a sign saying who has priority. If you have priority you should be able to take the lane, but I agree, oncoming vehicles may not give a stuff and barge through.

Luckily I don;t have many of those on my commute. That's because London is awesome.

We have a few here (not on my usual commute though) but they have a lane for bicycles to bypass them. They have bollards to stop people parking on them too.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Being me a slow cyclist, pinch points give me the heeebie jeebies :ph34r:
Taking primary only results in me getting beeped at, punishment passes, passes on the wring side of the road.
Most drivers, ime, will pass me anyway, I'm an ... obstacle that needs passed at all costs :eek:
Imo, a wide road with a 30mph/20mph speed limit, with cameras, is much better.

classic33

Leg End Member
One near me. The speed cushion was placed under one scheme. The pinch point under another. They knew there was something wrong, but couldn't work out what. The cycle lanes either side had the bollards nearer the kerbs when first placed, with two on each island.
upload_2019-1-3_15-39-47.png

Top Bottom