Road "Pinch Points"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One near me. The speed cushion was placed under one scheme. The pinch point under another. They knew there was something wrong, but couldn't work out what. The cycle lanes either side had the bollards nearer the kerbs when first placed, with two on each island.
View attachment 445450
Perfect. Either use the cycle lane or use the speed-bump ramp to jump the oncoming car.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
We have a few here (not on my usual commute though) but they have a lane for bicycles to bypass them. They have bollards to stop people parking on them too.

You would need to be pretty accurate to bypass your example :smile:

upload_2019-1-3_15-50-24.png

classic33

Leg End Member
We have a few here (not on my usual commute though) but they have a lane for bicycles to bypass them. They have bollards to stop people parking on them too.
There used to be two bollards on each island, but they were taken out by car drivers.

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
These examples are making me feel blessed for the minimally awful design choice locally. They don't click traffic like a chicane/traffic calming measure, just every inch short of the two lanes... squeezing everything together...

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
You would need to be pretty accurate to bypass your example :smile:

View attachment 445451

Yeah, sorry about that. Here's an example with the cycle lane, not too far from there actually

http://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.75...4!1s6E6wl2rsTuLAJTXpUpwmlA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah, sorry about that. Here's an example with the cycle lane, not too far from there actually
Oh I just love such inconsistency so I either have to wait until I can see whether the gutter is intended to be a cycle lane... or more likely, just take primary through the carriageway lane and fark the motorists.

I thought the OP was describing shoot like this one in Cambridge except that the OP's does it from both sides instead of only the left. Cambridge Cycling Campaign have been complaining about the pictured one since at least 1996 https://www.camcycle.org.uk/campaigning/papers/buildouts.html - it's disappointing if some backwards local governments are still building more of them.
Screenshot from 2019-01-03 16-44-14.png

It's a motoring supremacist design intended to reduce the amount of time that motorists have to wait for people on the crossing, at the expense of some safety for anyone using the left lane (not many in Cambridge because parked cars usually fill it until the crossing zigzags) and pedestrians waiting to cross who are now stood waiting out in traffic.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Oh I just love such inconsistency so I either have to wait until I can see whether the gutter is intended to be a cycle lane... or more likely, just take primary through the carriageway lane and fark the motorists.

I thought the OP was describing shoot like this one in Cambridge except that the OP's does it from both sides instead of only the left. Cambridge Cycling Campaign have been complaining about the pictured one since at least 1996 https://www.camcycle.org.uk/campaigning/papers/buildouts.html - it's disappointing if some backwards local governments are still building more of them.
View attachment 445461

It's a motoring supremacist design intended to reduce the amount of time that motorists have to wait for people on the crossing, at the expense of some safety for anyone using the left lane (not many in Cambridge because parked cars usually fill it until the crossing zigzags) and pedestrians waiting to cross who are now stood waiting out in traffic.
That's a more extreme version of one I have on the way to work at a pedestrian crossing https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.9...4!1sWA0xPc17zHoZLROylhjdmw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
However, when it was first built, the bollard was a plain (non-reflective) one, the kerb was much taller AND was at 90° to the pavement with no warning that it was there!

Top Bottom