Road Position Opinions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bristol Dave

Google map 1 shows the approach to a major roundabout in Bristol. The bus lane filters the cyclist into the left turn lane, although the road markings allow lane changes before the traffic lights. I want to go straight on not left.

At around 8 ish in the morning there aren't many vehicles that want to turn left here as most have taken the rat runs long before the RaB. The left lane is used by traffic going straight on and consists of vehicles that can use the bus lane (bikes, m/bikes, taxis and buses).

Google map 2 shows the RaB layout just after crossing the TL junction. I'm aim to get to the bus lane. I would be to the left of the bluey green car in the Old Mkt lane.

Now the reason for my post is to seek opinion of where other riders would position themselves. I usually take primary in the 'left turn only' lane and ride like hell for the bus lane in map 2, where I go into secondary. This morning I was undertaken by a people carrier style taxi in a way the really shook me up. Although I had seen him I assumed he was turning left as that was what his road positioning indicated. This is not the first time this has happened at this roundabout but it is usually bikes and scooters that undertake.

Where would you be on this road?

BD

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I know that roundabout - I never do it from that direction. I think the roundabout is fairly difficult due to the size and speed that motorists on it are going at. I guess if I'm in that sort of area going that direction I'm normally on the B2B path or possibly on either Feeder Road or Stapleton Road depending where I'm coming from/going to (I've never used the underpasses at that RAB).

I think on that RAB I would ride in the primary position in the bus lane to go straight on. At 8am - is that rab solid with traffic or fairly free moving?

With that first roundabout I'd get out of the bus lane, probably aiming to be just right of the solid line when it ends, then in the middle of the lane marked 'OLD MKT' before I get to the lights but be willing to modify the 2nd part slightly if the lights help and the exact transition will be dependent on traffic conditions.

With the 2nd rab I'd aim to take the same path as that blueygreen car and only drift left into the bus lane after I'm past that junction just be wary of buses or any cars using it illegally.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

That looks like a f*cking horrible roundabout to negotiate.

While I agree with the advice given above, it looks so wide (and with traffic probably going so fast) I imagine you are going to get cut up by lunatics whatever position you take. Too far left, and you'll get people swerving across you to take the first left exit. Too far right, and you'll have people undertaking you going straight on, like in your incident. Difficult to judge.

- Baz -

That looks like a f*cking horrible roundabout to negotiate...
Agreed. But I think HLaB has it right. Seems to me you need to be in the centre lane well before the end of the first bus lane and certainly before hitting the target bus lane. The key here is to carry enough speed to maintain primary all the way through the junction - just like any other vehicle. If the lights are against you, it's not so bad (provided you're still in primary), but if you're in the left hand lane, looks like you're buggered.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Primary in the left hand of the two saying "Old Market" (i.e. going straight on) and maintain this until through the roundabout... then check for undertaking idiots before moving back over to the left and into the Bus Lane. Speed will be the deciding factor on how safe this would feel - good speed will help you, slower will invite the idiots to overtake at dangerous points or just get impatient and hassle you, I would have thought.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom