Road Racing & Aero Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
@Citius Sorry, I was just been a bit sarcastic and jumped at the chance to have a bit of fun ;)

A search engine like google is probably one of the techniques they use but there are others for sure to deal with so much written work that hasn't made it to the net yet. For example, I have my dissertation in digital format but I have never published it on the Internet, you would need other means to prove plagiarism.

In all honesty when you look at the post in question, with all the text formatting and so on, it does look like a cut and paste job, however, I do believe yellow saddle is not copying somebody else's work At a guess, and knowing he is an author, he probably quotes his own work.

@Citius Sorry, I was just been a bit sarcastic and jumped at the chance to have a bit of fun ;)

A search engine like google is probably one of the techniques they use but there are others for sure to deal with so much written work that hasn't made it to the net yet. For example, I have my dissertation in digital format but I have never published it on the Internet, you would need other means to prove plagiarism.

In all honesty when you look at the post in question, with all the text formatting and so on, it does look like a cut and paste job, however, I do believe yellow saddle is not copying somebody else's work At a guess, and knowing he is an author, he probably quotes his own work.

Yup, that's how I do it. I have a large electronic archive here of unpublished dissertations by deceased people who can't raise the flag. I just cut and paste appropriate bits and pieces, but sometimes I just make stuff up as well. The latter is entirely my own work.

Citius

Trouble is, the accusations of plagiarism seem to be from people who would rather attack the poster, rather than the points he is making. Probably because the points he makes are accurate.. ;)

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Trouble is, the accusations of plagiarism seem to be from people who would rather attack the poster, rather than the points he is making. Probably because the points he makes are accurate.. ;)

I don't have a problem with his views as I agree with most of them but I do get a bit jumpy sometimes with the way he puts his poins acrross :smile: must be the Latin blood in me.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Comfort can only come from compliance, nothing else (assuming that the wheel is actually round). But perhaps you have other sources for comfort in wheels?

The phrase I still enjoy no matter how many times I hear it is "lateral stiffness and vertical compliance".

I suppose any vertical compliance in wheels would have to be provided by the tyres rather than the wheels themselves.

Although it's hard to see how you could quantify how much comfort is provided by the wheels in isolation - comfort on a bike is surely a function of the overall package, and I suspect fit is at least as important as the bike's ability to absorb/deflect bumps.

The phrase I still enjoy no matter how many times I hear it is "lateral stiffness and vertical compliance".

I suppose any vertical compliance in wheels would have to be provided by the tyres rather than the wheels themselves.

Although it's hard to see how you could quantify how much comfort is provided by the wheels in isolation - comfort on a bike is surely a function of the overall package, and I suspect fit is at least as important as the bike's ability to absorb/deflect bumps.
The irony of it all is that it is actually the other way around. Wheels are laterally compliant and vertically stiff.
With a modest amount of push on a wheel held like a steering wheel and pushed on the axle resting on a block of wood, you can easily make it bend 30mm. However, with a rider's weight on the bike, the wheel squashes in by less than 0.5mm (no tyre fitted). We all know that tyres are far more compliant than that Yet, bike magazine hacks claim they can "feel" the compliance in the wheel. And then paradoxically tell us that when they apply the power, the wheel doesn't argue and just shoots forward.

Product label science should best not be copied and repackaged as journalism.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
bike magazine hacks claim they can "feel" the compliance in the wheel. And then paradoxically tell us that when they apply the power, the wheel doesn't argue and just shoots forward.

Is that a scientifically tested statement?

I just checked over the last two wheel group tests we published and there's no such claim made in either - lots of talk of stiffness vs [lateral] flex, but no claims of 'vertical compliance' (only mentions of comfort are in relation to rim width and how it affects tyre profile) and certainly no claim that any wheel offers both compliance and stiffness. Maybe you're talking about inferior bike magazine hacks to the ones I work with. :smile:

Is that a scientifically tested statement?

I just checked over the last two wheel group tests we published and there's no such claim made in either - lots of talk of stiffness vs [lateral] flex, but no claims of 'vertical compliance' (only mentions of comfort are in relation to rim width and how it affects tyre profile) and certainly no claim that any wheel offers both compliance and stiffness. Maybe you're talking about inferior bike magazine hacks to the ones I work with. :smile:
Which one do you work with? If you don't want to tell me in public, that's OK. Send me some product reviews from that mag and I'll point out the equivalent statements to the stupidity under discussion.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Send me some product reviews from that mag and I'll point out the equivalent statements to the stupidity under discussion.

Ha. Good one.

No, I'm asking if you can provide a citation for the specific form of stupidity you mentioned. If it's is a genuine example, I'm genuinely interested to know where you've read it.

The trouble is, you say stuff like that and because you have the air of scientific authority it gets accepted as fact. If you want to cite examples of stupidity, why not use real ones? There are plenty out there, so no need to invent spurious examples.

In the context of a discussion of scientific principles, it pays to be accurate.

Ha. Good one.

No, I'm asking if you can provide a citation for the specific form of stupidity you mentioned. If it's is a genuine example, I'm genuinely interested to know where you've read it.

The trouble is, you say stuff like that and because you have the air of scientific authority it gets accepted as fact. If you want to cite examples of stupidity, why not use real ones? There are plenty out there, so no need to invent spurious examples.

In the context of a discussion of scientific principles, it pays to be accurate.
Got it. So far I've just quoted from memory and license, but I'll find you some howlers.

Ha. Good one.

Why not shop local? I found quite a few right here:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset.154613/
I only scanned the first two pages and there as some beauts there.

Top Bottom