Road rage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think you are winging it with the hate crime. But if he has damaged your bikes, he has made off after an accident.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I think you are winging it with the hare crime. But if he has damaged your bikes, he has made off after an accident.

Pedantic, but important point is that it sounded deliberate rather than an accident.

And I'm one of those who generally argue against the newspeak argument decrying use of the word accident

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Pedantic, but important point is that it sounded deliberate rather than an accident.

And I'm one of those who generally argue against the newspeak argument decrying use of the word accident
Its a road traffic accident. Not a road traffic deliberate. The English law terminology is not going to be changed to suit you.

davidphilips

Veteran
Any news? Police should have had time to apprehend the hateful driver that made of without leaving his details after a collision on the road (an offence on its own) hope this has not put your son of cycling as most drivers would be ashamed of such behaviour.

Lozz360

Veteran
Hi there guys.

On a training ride today I was a victim of road rage. A white van man took exception to the fact that I was in the middle of the road approaching a t-junction, he felt I should stay tight into the curb and indicate!

Anyway, he went ahead of me, pulled over in front, abused me, assaulted me (shove to the chest), so I started to call the police. At that point he suddenly realised he was in a frightful hurry, so jumped in his cab, and started to make off. Only thing was, I, and my 15 year old son, were still in front of his vehicle.

He made contact with both of our bikes, both expensive high end carbon jobbies (son is hoping to go-pro). Interestingly, since he called me a 'ponce' this is now a hate crime. So I'm going to give a statement at the Police station later (have appointment), and I'll be making an insurance claim through Leigh Day (BC membership).

Any thoughts or constructive comments?
It’s been a week since you posted. Any further developments?

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
It’s been a week since you posted. Any further developments?

Nothing yet Lozz, to be fair, I wasn't expecting quick developments. The PC dealing with it said it would be a week or so before they get the driver in for interview, and also she needs to come and interview my son.

With regard to the 'Ponce' insult, and 'hate crime' side, my view is that cyclists need more protection. We are a minority on the roads, and face daily threats to our lives through the deliberate or careless actions of others, so any way in which I can get Police to take any incident more seriously I will use. Furthermore, I think the use of this term was telling. It shows that the driver has a preconception and dislike for me based on either my choice to cycling, or the way I appear whilst cycling. It is not accurate, or relevant, except to demonstrate his prejudice, and that, in my view, makes the 'crime' worse, than if he was simply taking issue with me over my use of the roads.

Thanks to those who have made constructive comments, and to those who made comments which had to be deleted, I leave you to karma and the puncture fairy.

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Ponce originated in the UK and came to prominence in the 1960's, initially to describe a pimp. In Spanish it means "prince" and could have either been referring to the fancy, over-the-top clothing and jewelry popular with pimps, or because he was surrounded by a harem of women, involved in the underworld, but usually not the actual "king" of the area (he had to pay tribute to use the block or neighborhood).

Now it is generally used to refer to someone (usually a male) who dresses in nicer clothing and acts in a polished fashion; often interchangable with fag or pussy, but not necessarily as derogatory: a ponce is not necessarily homosexual, nor are they necessarily passive or weak, but they would tend to be thought of as metrosexual or gay in their manner of dress. Even if you are gay, been called that isn’t a hate crime.

This is as pathetic as it is inaccurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom