Road rage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Hi there guys.

On a training ride today I was a victim of road rage. A white van man took exception to the fact that I was in the middle of the road approaching a t-junction, he felt I should stay tight into the curb and indicate!

Anyway, he went ahead of me, pulled over in front, abused me, assaulted me (shove to the chest), so I started to call the police. At that point he suddenly realised he was in a frightful hurry, so jumped in his cab, and started to make off. Only thing was, I, and my 15 year old son, were still in front of his vehicle.

He made contact with both of our bikes, both expensive high end carbon jobbies (son is hoping to go-pro). Interestingly, since he called me a 'ponce' this is now a hate crime. So I'm going to give a statement at the Police station later (have appointment), and I'll be making an insurance claim through Leigh Day (BC membership).

Any thoughts or constructive comments?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Wow, that's appalling. Good luck getting justice. Did you get a number plate?

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not sure how calling you a 'ponce' is a hate crime, as it's neither a protected characteristic or visibly distinguishable characteristic.

Procedure aside, that's a blummen disgrace. Glad you and your lad are ok, and I look forward to matey getting his collar felt.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
It's not something a young lad or you should go through !
I've had a few instances last year very similar and all boils down to drivers having no patience and no spare seconds just to let someone do their thang on a bike ..
I DO hope the Police take it seriously, if a work van I'd speak to the company and let them know exactly what kind of driver they have.
There's no need for it, there's no place for it, and I'm sick of the way some drivers are.
:bicycle:

Slick

Guru
I'm also a bit unsure of the significance of the word ponse to constitute a hate crime, but a nasty encounter all the same. I hope your young son isn't put off and matey gets what's coming.

Milzy

Guru
Ponce originated in the UK and came to prominence in the 1960's, initially to describe a pimp. In Spanish it means "prince" and could have either been referring to the fancy, over-the-top clothing and jewelry popular with pimps, or because he was surrounded by a harem of women, involved in the underworld, but usually not the actual "king" of the area (he had to pay tribute to use the block or neighborhood).

Now it is generally used to refer to someone (usually a male) who dresses in nicer clothing and acts in a polished fashion; often interchangable with fag or pussy, but not necessarily as derogatory: a ponce is not necessarily homosexual, nor are they necessarily passive or weak, but they would tend to be thought of as metrosexual or gay in their manner of dress. Even if you are gay, been called that isn’t a hate crime.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5135433, member: 9609"]Any witnesses ?[/QUOTE]
The OP and his son; so no need for any further witnesses. I am assuming that the law in England is similar to ours in Scotland in that respect.
What is it with people in general these days? Not just drivers v. cyclists; but there just seems to be a lot more aggression and intolerance about. No-one is willing to accept being told that they have done something wrong without going ballistic about it.
Hopefully WVM will get his comeuppance but I doubt if the punishment given out by the court (if it gets that far) will be much of a deterrent. And that, IMHO, is the root of the problem. These people laugh at the system.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
IMHO, the classification of certain crimes as "Hate Crimes" is counter-productive.

Certain behaviour (such as described in the OP), is simply unacceptable, end of. It does not matter one iota WHY the brain dead perpetrator does it. All such instances need to be investigated with the same vigour.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Could have been worse - at least you weren't called a perfumed ponce. "What f***er said that?"
[Actually quoted that line to general merriment in the Bull and Bladder when the waitress came out and shouted "Faggots!"]

Seriously, best of luck pursuing this; idiots like that need to suffer the consequences.

Could have been worse - at least you weren't called a perfumed ponce. "What f***er said that?"
[Actually quoted that line to general merriment in the Bull and Bladder when the waitress came out and shouted "Faggots!"]

Seriously, best of luck pursuing this; idiots like that need to suffer the consequences.

I’ve drank in that pub.

Slick

Guru
The OP and his son; so no need for any further witnesses. I am assuming that the law in England is similar to ours in Scotland in that respect.
What is it with people in general these days? Not just drivers v. cyclists; but there just seems to be a lot more aggression and intolerance about. No-one is willing to accept being told that they have done something wrong without going ballistic about it.
Hopefully WVM will get his comeuppance but I doubt if the punishment given out by the court (if it gets that far) will be much of a deterrent. And that, IMHO, is the root of the problem. These people laugh at the system.
The police,ice up here lime their witnesses to be unconnected to the complainant.

Top Bottom