Road Safety Questionnaire For Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MJinksy

Hi, I am a product design student at Wolverhampton University looking into the issues surrounding road safety for cyclists. I am in the process of designing a product that would help cyclists be safer on the road. I would really appreciate if anyone could answer my questionnaire this would help me out a lot. Thank You !

Link to survey - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/ZGW95Y7

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Short but sweet and done

Sharky

Guru
Done
In 60+ years of cycling on roads, have only had one significant incident with another road user. It was pretty serious. But have had countless incidents & spills with no one else involved. Have slipped on gravel, hit pot holes, had near misses with dogs/horses, hit black ice, mechanical failures at speed (brake cable snapped, blow outs) and miss read road directions. Have broken bones, grazed skin etc. And a couple of clip less moments.

So for me the risk of an incident with another road user is very small, but the risk of those incidents I've described above is very high.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
7. Do you think more could be done for cyclists in regard to their safety on the road from a designer’s point of view, if so how?

Who's the designer you're referring to here? A road designer or someone else?

OP
OP
M

MJinksy

7. Do you think more could be done for cyclists in regard to their safety on the road from a designer’s point of view, if so how?

Who's the designer you're referring to here? A road designer or someone else?
Hi, from a product designer point of view, someone who designs products to help the everyday needs of people.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Hi, from a product designer point of view, someone who designs products to help the everyday needs of people.

In that case designers could address the problem of inattentive or poor driving and poor road layout. Design cars in such a way that it's not possible to exceed the posted speed limit, design cars without ridiculously thick pillars which reduce visibility and create large blind spots, design cars so that a driver cannot use a mobile phone while driving, design cars so they can't be driven by someone who's drunk, design safer cycling infrastructure than we have, design road junctions where high-speed turns are eliminated.

I'm going to bet that your product is something the cyclist will have to pay for to wear, carry or fit to their bike. If that's the case you're looking at safety from the wrong end. We've had umpteen designs for stuff we don't need like indicators, brighter lights, radar alerts and beacons and they're all a waste of time. Look at what makes it dangerous to cycle on the roads and design fixes for that. Apply your design efforts to where the danger comes from.

Apologies for ranting and good luck with your studies.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In that case designers could address the problem of inattentive or poor driving and poor road layout. Design cars in such a way that it's not possible to exceed the posted speed limit, design cars without ridiculously thick pillars which reduce visibility and create large blind spots, design cars so that a driver cannot use a mobile phone while driving, design cars so they can't be driven by someone who's drunk, design safer cycling infrastructure than we have, design road junctions where high-speed turns are eliminated.

I'm going to bet that your product is something the cyclist will have to pay for to wear, carry or fit to their bike. If that's the case you're looking at safety from the wrong end. We've had umpteen designs for stuff we don't need like indicators, brighter lights, radar alerts and beacons and they're all a waste of time. Look at what makes it dangerous to cycle on the roads and design fixes for that. Apply your design efforts to where the danger comes from.

Apologies for ranting and good luck with your studies.
:bravo: Top post, well said @glasgowcyclist

Top Bottom