road shifter compatability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello guys.

i am after some help/advice regarding road shifters. i am considering changing my flat bars to drops and have been looking around for shifters.

i need 8 speed with triple for the front as this is the set up on my giant rapid. i have been trying to source some reasonably cheap shimano 2300 or soras as i dont want to spend too much just in case i dont get on with the set up. the problem is, new ones are £100 ish but i have seen other makes on fleabay that are slightly cheaper but i dont know whether they are compatable.

i saw these CAMPAGNOLO Mirage 3 X 8 Speed Road Bike Shifters and wandered if they would work?

could anyone who has similar set up or the knowledge fill me in?

Cheers

I could be wrong but AFIA Shimano and Campy are incompatible. I've mixed plenty of SRAM and Shimano, they are compatible.

Manonabike

Über Member
Campagnolo 10sp ergopower shifters work with Shimano 10sp cassettes and Shimano/Campagnolo 10sp rear derraileurs. That's from my own experience.

9, 8, 7 speed Campagnolo and Shimano parts don't work together.

Are you sure about that?

I'm sure the Campagnolo 10sp Veloce ergopower works with a shimano 8 spd cassette and dereilleur.... with a 9spd cassette you need to route the cable a little different but I thought that they did not work with a 10 spd cassette.

I think you are confusing a 10 spd cassette with a 9 or 8 spds.

mercurykev

Campag 10 Speed Ergos index perfectly with 8 speed Shimano but there can be issues with different front dérailleur depending on the model of shifter - the set up is called Shimergo and you can read more about it here: http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

For your original question - the 8 speed Mirage shifters won't be compatible with your set up.

Manonabike

Über Member
Ghm, 10sp Campa Veloce ergoshifters work with 9sp Campa Record (old model) rear derraileur and Campa cassette, but with problems.
I have never heard that 10sp can work with 8sp, even if all parts are Campa or Shimano :unsure: But I can't guarantee that my knowledge are true.

I have been running 10sp Campa Veloce ergo with an 8sp shimano cassette + 105 shimano front and rear dereailleur for nearly 18 months - The shifters pull exactly the right amount with each click to change gears on a combination of shimano derailleur and 8 spds cassette.

The shifters I bought in Jan 2010 were " Campagnolo Veloce 10 Ultrashift Ergo Levers 2010"

I've got a pair of Sora 8 speed/triple STI's you can have for £50 plus postage.

They're about five years old but I swapped a new bike from drops to flat bar for a friend so they've never been used.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Any Campag 10 speed ULTRASHIFT shifters will work with a Shimano 8 speed triple. I'm not sure if the later Powershift models do too. "QS" (QUICKSHIFT) models will not work correctly with the front mech.

The alternative is to find a set of old Shimano 8 speed shifters on Ebay.

I could be wrong but AFIA Shimano and Campy are incompatible. I've mixed plenty of SRAM and Shimano, they are compatible.

Will 10 speed Shimano 105 shifters work with 10 speed SRAM derailleurs. Have you mixed these before?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I think only some of the advice above are correct...

Also as PpPete indicated it is important to know whether the OP runs a double or triple chainset. Indexing triples will be significantly more demanding with little room for error. Also there is the potential issue of brake compatibility - imho correct advice can not be provided to the OP with confidence without those info.

The following are what I believe to be correct for modern systems up to 9 speed (for 10 speed e.g. Shimano's new 10 speed dyna-sys mtb being different to their 10 speed road, and Sram's Exact being different to their 1:1 technology are complicating matters significantly):

1) If the OP wants to mix and match flat bar and drop bar Shimano equipment, this is the definitive compatibility info. The key issues are that their road drop bar brifters don't pull enough cable for their flat bar RXX0 series or mtb front mechs, and road drop bar brifter brake levers don't pull enough cable for v brakes.

2) For cross brand compatibility, mercurykev's ctc article link above for rear shifting is invaluable, ctc also has a corresponding artcile on front shifting.

3) Apart from cassette and chain, mixing Shimano and Sram can be a tricky business but this might help. Sram road rear mechs are not compatible with Shimano shifters or vice versa.

As a matter of interest Lennard Zinn explained here why mixing Campag and Sram 10 speed can work (and which is beyond the scope of the ctc article).

Over at bikehugger.com there is a 6 part article on the trials and tribulations of converting a mtb to drops.

Tread carefully and good luck!

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
Hello Guys

thanks for all of the replies, who knew there was so much knowledge out there on this stuff.

the first thing to say is that the Giant rapid is classed as a flat bar road bike so has the same components as the Defy, which was specd as 2300 i think although there seems to be an easy upgrade path on these bikes and parts.

that is why i assumed but couldnt be sure that the campag or sram may fit.

it may be safer for me to stick to shimano for now, i have had an offer from another member of some new but old (if that makes sense) soras which i will possibly go for. i am also keeping an eye on fleabay just in case.

thanks again for all of the time spent replying and passing on knowledge. :thumbsup:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I cant see why not, although my swaps have been 8spd cassettes with Sora or rapidfire shifters (cant remember the model) but they've been fine after 1000's of miles. In fact when my 10sp 105, 11-25 cassette wears out I think I'm going to go for a 11-26 SRAM.

SRAM and Shimano chains and cassettes are, or were, interchangeable, certainly 9 speed and below, the deraillers are not.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Hello Guys

thanks for all of the replies, who knew there was so much knowledge out there on this stuff.

the first thing to say is that the Giant rapid is classed as a flat bar road bike so has the same components as the Defy, which was specd as 2300 i think although there seems to be an easy upgrade path on these bikes and parts.

that is why i assumed but couldnt be sure that the campag or sram may fit.

it may be safer for me to stick to shimano for now, i have had an offer from another member of some new but old (if that makes sense) soras which i will possibly go for. i am also keeping an eye on fleabay just in case.

thanks again for all of the time spent replying and passing on knowledge. :thumbsup:

I still don't know exactly what you have but just in case if your bike has the same front mech as this Giant Rapid (and driving a triple chainset) then I am afraid your plan won't work.

As I indicated earlier for a triple Shimano's road sti's such as the Sora's don't pull enough cable for their Rxx0 series front mechs.

Top Bottom