Road shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmclean

Regular
Not really been a cold weather cyclist before, slowly getting more gear (skull cap, leggings etc) but today I could feel the cold air coming in through my shoes.

My current shoes are Shimano MTB/commuter style SPDs, a nice hybrid (for when I only had a hybrid bike), so I’m looking for recommendations for new “autumn/spring” SPD shoes.

Ideally less than £100 (cheaper the better this cycling malarkey adds up!), and if they had a dash of orange, that’d be great.

Had a look in Decathlon, and on Wiggle, but any suggestions or recommendations would be great.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Keep using the shoes but put overshoes on top?

Then start with the cheapest solution... Socks!

I ride with basic Shimano MTB (MT34) spd shoes, and they're great all year round. But I tailor my socks to the seasons. If your feet are cold, might I recommend those "feet heater" jobbies with the brushed fibre insides. They trap air, adding extra insulation, but as they are quite thick, you may need to loosen your laces.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd go for a pair of winter boots, I've got a pair of these but they're a bit more than £100.

1602957691813.png

PaulSB

Legendary Member
After trying every solution I could imagine I finally invested in winter boots. I wish I had done it ten years ago. I use these as all my bikes have SPDs, there is a road equivalent. My feet are always warm and dry though they do sweat a little meaning the boots need drying/airing after a ride. Yes, I realise these are considerably more than the budget you suggested. I found them with a 20% discount at Merlin about 12 months ago. Merlin currently have them on offer at £129.

Fizik Artica X5

OP
OP
gmclean

gmclean

Regular
Ok, will start with socks (fair cop, I have some thin “running” socks that I tend to wear, then overshoes (although they look like a faff!).

and will keep in mind the boots option.

thanks all!

My summer shoes are nice and vented for the warmth. In winter I have an old pair of Adidas suede ish MTB shoes with elastic laces in. I put the overshoes on from November or so and I can leave them on. No Faff. Just slip your feet in.

Venod

Eh up
I use overshoes nowadays but many years ago old socks over the shoes were a popular alternative.

Toe covers are my favourite unless it's super cold. Even if you have decent socks there's often some water spray around at this time of year and your feet soon get wet and cold = miserable riding.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Overshoes are the cheaper option of course and I use BBB overshoes from Wiggle when I'm in my road shoes, and that's always been a warm and comfy choice. They're not a faff, they take about 30 seconds to put on. Slip them on, zip them up, do up the velcro strap if applicable.

I ride infrequently in the winter though, so if you're out regularly then dedicated boots might be a good investment.

OP
OP
gmclean

gmclean

Regular
Thanks all - my shoes are 'MTB' so will need to look for overshoes that will accommodate those but definitely the way to go (if I'm still going out in the depths of December/January then I'll look to 'winter' shoes)

si_c

Guru
BBB heavy duty overshoes are decent in 5-10° weather, below that I use some seal skins ones which have a hard waterproof outer shell and a fleecy lining.

Boots are the ultimate winter shoe though.

Bear in mind that leg covering pays a huge part in how warm/cold your feet are.

Top Bottom