road side supporters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Watching the giro yesterday on the tele, riders slogging up the inclines having encouragement shouted at them by road side supporters. Okay, that's fine by me... but those that run along side bellowing in the riders ear! Blimey, reckon I could do without that! I've seen it before in the TdF etc and always thought that it would put me off, but yesterday seemed to me above and beyond the normal. Is it just the Giro and the passionate Italians?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
yello said:
Watching the giro yesterday on the tele, riders slogging up the inclines having encouragement shouted at them by road side supporters. Okay, that's fine by me... but those that run along side bellowing in the riders ear! Blimey, reckon I could do without that! I've seen it before in the TdF etc and always thought that it would put me off, but yesterday seemed to me above and beyond the normal. Is it just the Giro and the passionate Italians?

As you say it can be as bad in the TdF - remember that fan who knocked the bloke off his bike near the top of a mountain some years back. It would drive me mad if I were in that position - Sella actually pushed a couple of tifosi out of the way. I noticed that a fan behind a barrier put an arm out to stop a bloke running alongside Sella and took offence. It looked like the runner was going to start a fight with other bloke but sadly the camera followed the cycling!

Keith Oates

Janner
It always suprises me that there are not more accidents in those situations. I suppose it's enthusiam at seeing your favorite rider going past and trying to will him on but like most things in life some people over do the excitment bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yenrod

I couldnt do this type of encouragement - not far from me there is a REALLY steep hill and at the top is a pub (aint there always - which I wasnt going to BTW) and there was 3 people walking up the hill on my side, pavement narrow so at one pont I was right next to them, grinding my way up - next min. they burst into encouragement - why I dont know but I nearly lost concentration...I dont know how pro cyclists manage to ignore/put up' with it !

mondobongo

Über Member
Yes the Tifosi are super passionate, but you could see that they were really bothering Sella yesterday and the commissaire were really slow to respond to get him some space.
I could not ride like that and as for when they pour water on a rider I would be getting off for a little chat with the pourer.

doyler78

Just on the commissaire's well they don't always act in the best interests of the rider in fact they are not slow to penalise a rider if they feel that they getting to much help from the spectators ie a shove too many and that's probably more to do with Sella's annoyance - he was worried he was going to get a penalty probably more than getting knocked off his bike. They can be slow to act when the rider is at risk but god forbid they get a shove too many that they can't control very well from where they are ie trying to concentrate on riding.

Today's time trial at least was barried on the upper slopes which was good to see as that road (dirt track) was narrow towards the top. Still pretty crazed fans on the lower slopes though. Madness - I don't know inspires that degree of passion. I can't imagine myself getting that excited by anybody. If I do shoot me!!

Star

I always hold my breath when I watch one of those places where the fans are "encouraging" the riders at close range. Don't they realize they could be hurting their favorite rider more than helping him?

Top Bottom