Road skills - do you signal left turns?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I rarely signal left.
Unless there is a need safety-wise to inform others of my intentions, i.e if I'm riding in a line of other bikes or a pedestrian or pavement cyclist is about to launch themselves into my path by crossing the road I am about to turn into.

I agree that often indicating left early can be an invitation to be carved-up.
Also with Domtyler regarding right-turns/pulling-out, I only use a hand signal when necessary, more often good positioning, rear-observation and body language are sufficient and both hands can be kept on the bars.

What are you thinking Mikey?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I tend to signal everything, where I can...

I've found rights more difficult to do, for some reason, and was once (second week of my commute, I think) harangued for not signalling right by a driver, (I thought my road positioning indicated what I was going to do, although maybe I'd moved over a bit early). I didn't make the signal in that case because I was working too hard on keeping speed up to the turn to take one hand off the bars.

Whilst I signal turns, I don't signal to move out around obstacles (in general - I have done where I've been concerned that the people behind me are too close, in the hope that they'll cede me some room).

The points about people cutting you up &c are probably fair ones, although I tend to take the lane at this sort of junction to try and forestall that until I'm over the junction. I take the view (possibly probably mistakenly) that it's better to let people know what I'm doing/intending to do.

TBH, in terms of deducing intention from road positioning, in the current free for all that is term time Manchester, I'm not sure I'd know what some of the cyclists in the city are up to, and I reckon drivers would be as confused.

domtyler

Über Member
John the Monkey said:
TBH, in terms of deducing intention from road positioning, in the current free for all that is term time Manchester, I'm not sure I'd know what some of the cyclists in the city are up to, and I reckon drivers would be as confused.

This is a good thing no? I mean if drivers are not sure what you are about to do then they are more likely to hang back for a second or two. I tend to use this to my advantage all the time.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
domtyler said:
This is a good thing no? I mean if drivers are not sure what you are about to do then they are more likely to hang back for a second or two. I tend to use this to my advantage all the time.

I should probably preface my posts by saying that my experience to date is a month of commuting to and from work, so I may come around to that point of view.

I do see the point you're making, and as an occasional driver (prior to my bike commute I used the train, so I've not driven the streets I'm riding now) I can see that you'd give more space to someone unpredictable.

My limited experience so far (and it's only my personal experience) seems to be that signalling hasn't had the downsides pointed out by previous posters (so far). The only occasion I can think of (a ***** in a blue Hyundai who roared past me in the car park of the Parrs Wood entertainment complex to stop and turn left at a give way not 10 yards ahead) would probably have done that whether I'd signalled or not. On account of his being a *****).

From an entirely impractical point of view, it seems like the courteous thing to do as well.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Chuffy said:
Always. It's a good habit to have.

I don't always signal left, because sometimes it's not a good idea, but I nearly always do. This judgement call comes when I have motor traffic behind me likely to turn left, or oncoming traffic and likely to turn right into the same junction, or crossing traffic. As others have said, it can invite a dangerous manoeuvre from any motons infesting those drivers. I tend to still signal in this situation, just quite late and noticeably after the point the motons have assumed I'm going straight on. It's not perfect, but it's my safety versus the drivers' irritation, and safety always wins.

The exceptions when I don't signal are when it's a junction that requires me to have both hands on the bars, and there's traffic as above. The chances are that I could have signalled earlier on, but as above it isn't a good idea. The other instance when I don't signal left is when I've checked and there's no other traffic/pedestrians about.

Not signalling left is the exception though, for the most part I nearly always signal.

Yes.

Cab

John the Monkey said:
My limited experience so far (and it's only my personal experience) seems to be that signalling hasn't had the downsides pointed out by previous posters (so far).

There are two things that sometimes go wrong signalling left.

The most dangerous, I think, is the left hook. You know the kind of thing, you signal left, car tries to turn left through you. Not as bad as some make it out to be, and I think its very rare when you're turning left from primary position.

The other one, almost as dangerous, is when someone accelerates at you because you're about to get out of their way. You signal, they speed up, someone steps out from the path in the junction where you want to go so you have to stop, and you're screwed. Had several very near misses like that, so now if there is traffic behind me I signal to turn left very late.

Membrane

andrew_s said:
If a car following also wants to turn left, and you indicate left, some motorists will take your indication as an invitation to overtake

I signal to facilitate that.

on the corner which will very likely squeeze you into the kerb.

If there is a risk of that, not signaling is IMO not a good response, I'd adopt the primary position.

Signaling left on a narrow road has the advantage that it alerts following traffic that wants to go straight ahead that you are about to get out of their way. They are less likely to try to overtake you.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'd signal unless:

I needed both hands on the bars for some reason, eg: very bumpy surface, going fast (this being unlikely if I'm turning, I don't corner fast)

or

there was no-one on the roads or pavements around me.

Generally, when I'm indicating left, my road position is discouraging overtaking-to-left-hook - ie, I've moved well out from the kerb, and I'll probably be making more frequent over the shoulder checks...

Mostly, around town, I'm signalling to tell pedestrians what I'm doing, and sometimes, they even look before crossing and see my signal...:biggrin:

I generally will signal. However, as others have pointed out, sometimes that can invite stupid maneuvers by other road users: 'Oh he's turning, I am sure I can just nip in in front of him....':ohmy:

As with all road cycling you have to assess each situation on it's own merit.

Cab

I didn't add the other classic error some motorists make; you're turning left, theres a car on the other side of the road turning right. He assumes you'll hug the kerb, starts his turn, and either you have to brake sharply or he does. Obviously, he then shouts at you.

Best to not signal until late if you're turning left and the car on the other side of the road wants to turn right into the sae junction.

Top Bottom