Road to Amboise on the Loire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there, I know a lot of you have cycled around the Loire, so hopefully I can get a good quick & clear answer from you :smile:
South Bank of the Loire, heading West from the direction of Chambord, on the D751. I am looking through maps, google earth and street view, and that road, the D751 looks pretty busy. Have you cycled along it? Is it nasty? I am re-routing in to the roads behind it through the lovely vineyards, but I would like to drop down to it just before Amboise, by the island.
What advice/experience have you had of this road? thanks
amboise.jpg

doog

Im hopefully doing that route next month. Im following the Eurovelo 6 route which runs south of the D751 as per the link below.

http://en.eurovelo6-france.com/troncons/blois-tours

It was fine when we were there a few years ago, the cycle route takes you all over the shop, sometimes on rough tracks to miss sections of D road that are quiet and perfectly ok to ride.
There's a nice campsite on the island in the river by the way.

That roads is OK, but in any case this is France and French drivers treat cyclists well and the wide pass idea will have sunk into the brains of even dopey UK motorists by thus far south... Oh and the fact the driver will be near the cyclist (unless a hire car) means a good pass is virtually guaranteed.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
It was fine when we were there a few years ago, the cycle route takes you all over the shop, sometimes on rough tracks to miss sections of D road that are quiet and perfectly ok to ride.
There's a nice campsite on the island in the river by the way.

Morning, thanks. yes i have found on street view some rough roads lol. Prob best to avoid that D road still? Thanks for the campsite advice, I did look at that one, but we are going to head down to Chenonceau instead.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
That roads is OK, but in any case this is France and French drivers treat cyclists well and the wide pass idea will have sunk into the brains of even dopey UK motorists by thus far south... Oh and the fact the driver will be near the cyclist (unless a hire car) means a good pass is virtually guaranteed.

oh right, yes the French drivers are pretty good to us cyclists, although when we are driving a car, that is another story lol. I think we may take the majority of backroads now, as found a nice vineyard cave :smile: haha Nice to know that when we have to go back on to the main road, that it is safe enough. I noticed there are some cycle lanes along it, but only in patches

Thanks for tips and advice A* to all of you

Brains

Legendary Member
We did that road a few years back, from memory we stuck to the river path most of the way

We the headed south and stayed at Le Moulin Fort campsite, which is walking distance from the Château de Chenonceau
http://lemoulinfort.blogspot.co.uk/
It is run by an English family, and a great place to use as a base in the Loire

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there, thanks for that info. I had a look at the riverside path, from what i can tell, it only seems to be in places and very ruogh with potholes. Are you let me know if this is right? I think we may stick to the hills with the vines. Was the main road busy did you think? feel safe on it?

Yes, I have been in touch with John there, and we are booked in. (i think it is john off the top of my head). It looks like a good place. How did you find it? Thanks

Top Bottom