Road to Gospel pass info please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
We have a mini tour planned in August. A night in Brecon, leave the car, ride to Hay-on-Wye, stay over and then back to Brecon next day. My question regards the road going up around Llanthony from Crickhowel, last time we drove it there was a partly collapsed section, it was open but looked a bit like it was going to be closed. Anyone ridden this recently?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I haven't ridden it but I just found this...

roadworks.png

The heading says "Delays likely" but the detail says "Road closure"... It might be one of those cases where you can squeeze by on a bike, but maybe not! :wacko:

a.twiddler

Veteran
I don't have any further information but if you're feeling adventurous it might be worth a try anyway, to see if you can get through on bikes, with a plan B in reserve as there's lots to see in that area.

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I haven't ridden it but I just found this...

View attachment 653741

The heading says "Delays likely" but the detail says "Road closure"... It might be one of those cases where you can squeeze by on a bike, but maybe not! :wacko:

I've just spoken to Monmouthshire council who were very helpful and spoke to the road works dept and apparently it's easily passable by walking around it. She then said that some cars are ignoring it so can't be too bad. Lovely road with reduced traffic😁
Thanks for your help.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Have fun!

It usually IS possible to get past roadworks, but I have been caught out a few times.

On one occasion, the road no longer existed! (A new industrial estate and motorway junction were being constructed.) :laugh:

Another time a dual carriageway was being built across a country lane that I had planned to ride down.

The road closure shown below was because of a dangerously large pothole awaiting repairs. In case you didn't spot the hole, it is the flooded cavern below the earthworks!

1658417678960.png

:whistle:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

Didn't get down there last summer and also looks like this summer is now off because of other commitments but did camp at Hay on Wye for a few years prior and had long cycling weekends with 3 days of riding in the area.
Brilliant roads and scenery once off the main A roads (not always possible) but can be hilly if that bothers you?

Gospel Pass is fantastic. Have only ridden it from the Hay end but I think this is probably the most enjoyable anyway.

Some inspiration for you here hopefully....

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lets-get-together-hay-on-wye-cycle-camp-12-16th-sept-2019.248322/

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/hay-on-wye-cycling-camping-long-weekend-4th-7th-sept-2020.265084/

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Didn't get down there last summer and also looks like this summer is now off because of other commitments but did camp at Hay on Wye for a few years prior and had long cycling weekends with 3 days of riding in the area.
Brilliant roads and scenery once off the main A roads (not always possible) but can be hilly if that bothers you?

Gospel Pass is fantastic. Have only ridden it from the Hay end but I think this is probably the most enjoyable anyway.

Some inspiration for you here hopefully....

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lets-get-together-hay-on-wye-cycle-camp-12-16th-sept-2019.248322/

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/hay-on-wye-cycling-camping-long-weekend-4th-7th-sept-2020.265084/

Yes it's a great area. I've ridden over it (a while back) a couple of times in each direction. We are starting from Brecon with the first half nice and easy along the canal as far as Crickowel before heading up. It's my OH's first overnight with just what can be carried. A nice short ride back to Brecon on the second day. Raleigh randonneur + Dawes Galaxy ^_^^_^^_^

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It usually IS possible to get past roadworks, but I have been caught out a few times.

On one occasion, the road no longer existed! (A new industrial estate and motorway junction were being constructed.) :laugh:

The best I've been through was when a bridge over the M4 near Acton Turville was being revamped. The whole section of the bridge between the upright and the top of the embankment was absent :eek:
Fortunately, a scaffold and plank pedestrian bridge had been put in.

On topic, the last report I had from someone going over the Gospel pass (a couple of months ago) matched the Monmouthshire info - i.e. signed as closed, but not a problem on a bike. The rider implied that passing the landslip would have been difficult for a normal car.

vt2

Guru
The road to the Gospel Pass from llanthony is open to all traffic now, drove up it a week ago in my car. I rode up it earlier in the year from Abergavenny just after the landslip. Even then you could ride around the affected length.

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
The road to the Gospel Pass from llanthony is open to all traffic now, drove up it a week ago in my car. I rode up it earlier in the year from Abergavenny just after the landslip. Even then you could ride around the affected length.

Great thank you

Big T

Guru
It’s virtually traffic free anyway. We rode the Gospel Pass from Abergavenny to Hay a couple of years ago and I think we got passed by 2 cars in that whole section of the ride, once off the main road from Abergavenny.

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
We completed this during the recent heat wave. Virtually traffic free but a bit warm but didn't die despite all the warnings at the time! (Well, actually I did haha)

Top Bottom