Road to Hybrid issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
20190104_174348.jpg

Pic says it all...trying to fit 700 x 32 tyres on Specialized Allez frame...should have Googled first!
Can i get brakes to work or just go with say 28c tyres?
Also, the chuffing flat bars i bought don't fit stem!

Attachments

• 20190104_174358.jpg
    20190104_174358.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190104_174451.jpg
    20190104_174451.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 42

Sharky

Guru
If you have vertical dropouts, is there any scope for lowering the wheel a few mm? Could bodge a shim the make it more secure?

Long drop callipers would help. If you bodged a rectangular bracket and mounted it vertically in the existing hole for the calliper fixing bolt, drilled a hole higher up, and attatched the long drop calliper to it.

Last edited:
Long drop calipers will NOT help. They won't move the brake mount higher up in the frame.

All you can do is downsize your tyres and pray you never have the urge to fit mudguards.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Yellow Saddle is right - 28mm tyres would be my shout.
As one who rides bridlepaths on 24mm tyres (while being a bit of a chunky monkey), 28mm should cope fine.
Unlucky with the bars and stem though - I'm guessing one is oversize but not the other?

midlife

Guru
Long drop calipers will NOT help. They won't move the brake mount higher up in the frame.

All you can do is downsize your tyres and pray you never have the urge to fit mudguards.

I think Mr Roadkill was thinking about something like this....

2FnRk.jpg

And a longer drop brake?

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Ok thanks guys...28 tyres it is

I think Mr Roadkill was thinking about something like this....

View attachment 445717

And a longer drop brake?

Yeah, I know. They are called drop bolts. However, they work to convert frames designed for old-fashioned long arm brakes to work with short arm brakes. Not the other way around. The problem is the brake bridge. It remains in place and that's right up against the tyre.

Further, drop bolts are not a great idea. The moment of inertia at, especially the front brake, is far too great to prevent lots of flex, resulting in poor brake performance and squealing.

Sometimes the solution is the one we don't want to accept.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A friend of mine has an Allez Sport with 28mm tyres, I'm not sure what brand, some tyres size slightly larger/smaller but his only has about 2mm clearance from tyre to underside of brake, when the time comes he's reverting back to 25mm because mud collects under the brake and rubs on the tyre.

I flat-barred my Scott Expert last year, initially leaving the tyres, 23c, unchanged. All else changed easily. Later, I put a set of 25c tyres on, and that was as far as it would go. Still not enough comfort for me in that, so it reverts to 2nd bike once the Trek mtb is modified.

Top Bottom