Road Tubeless Tips **update re leak**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Velochris

Über Member
Hello all.

I'm fairly mechanically minded (build up my own bikes and wheels) but I've never fitted or used a tubeless tyre. I have read and watched plenty and generally know what to do.

More out of interest I've ordered some Hutchinson Fusion 5 11storm tyres due to what seems to be universally good reviews.

Any general day to day tips you learnt which yoy wish you knew from the start?

***update*****
Installation was very easy and completed 3 days ago. They have not been used yet but the rear is losing around 40 psi over 24hr. The front about 5.

I expected some loss at first until I rode them and the sealant circulated more but am surprised at that rate.

The tyre and valve is secured and I've put both wheels in a bath to look for leaks. The bubbles form on the sidewall so (a lot lot more in the rear) so the air is escaping through the walls and not the rim interface.

I added 60ml sealant per wheel. Is it normal to have to add more or do I just need to ride them to get the sealant circulated around the inside of the tyre?

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Persevere through the initial setup pain, use enough decent sealant, carry these but also a spare tube. Finally, don't do up the tubeless valve too tight, finger tight is enough.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I've heard lots of tales of woe about fitting tubeless tyres but I found the process straightforward and easy. The only advice I would give would be to take your time over it and make sure you follow the procedure carefully - especially with regard to installing the rim tape.

lazyfatgit

Make sure the rims are clean and the tape is stuck down smoothly. Any bubbles may lift and you'll get a leak.

I use gorilla tape now after being recommended it by a local bike shop. Way cheaper and sticks well.

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
It's definitely not the fit. Not a single air bubble under water around the valve or the rim interface. You can see them gradually form sporadically along various parts of the sidewall.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
do I just need to ride them to get the sealant circulated around the inside of the tyre?

Yes.

Did you, having added the sealant, then a) shake and spin them a fair bit, b) leave them horizontal - on an empty, cardboard box for example - on each side for 'a while', where 'a while' is fifteen minutes to half an hour per side, with a shake/spin when turning over? Doing that is a good way of making sure the sealant coats the inside of a new tyre nicely. That's a solution, as is riding them, but the slow loss of air is normal until this inner coating's been formed in my experience of about eight tyres.

lazyfatgit

Surely you should only need sealant in the event of a puncture? If they are otherwise leaking it must be the fit of the tyre. I'd fully deflate and try pumping them up again.
Depends on whether the tyres and rim are UST compliant. This was designed for mtb where the tyres are airtight and the rim should allow the tyre to bead with a normal hand pump. No sealant required other than for puncture sealing.
Not sure if many road tyres are designed to be completely airtight without sealant. I was advised by Schwalbe distributor here to paint inside of tyre with sealant when I had an issue with sealant seeping on my first attempt.

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
Thanks for all the replies. Although I did give them a good spin I did not shake them around enough.

I bodged together a drill into a bench vice then fixed the wheel almost horizontal using a threaded rod. Left the drill turning at very low speed for 15 minutes per wheel .

The rear only lost 5psi overnight so all is now as expected. Time to ride them now.

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
Yes, tubeless ready. Rode them tonight and that has helped. Both lost about 7psi and previous reviews say they need a few rides to fully seal so I'm happy.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes, tubeless ready. Rode them tonight and that has helped. Both lost about 7psi and previous reviews say they need a few rides to fully seal so I'm happy.

You say the sealant is seeping through the sidewalls, which means the carcass is not airtight.

Nothing wrong with that, the carcasses of most bicycle tyres are not airtight, but it's a bit cheeky of Hutchinson to call your tyres 'tubeless ready'.

I've been slightly underwhelmed with my low pressure balloon tyre tubeless set-up.

Front has been fine, but the rear loses pressure at varying rates.

I've now done two top-ups and manipulated the wheel as much as I can.

As others have said, spreading the sealant around the inside of the tyre needs more effort than just spinning the wheel.

Top Bottom