Road tyres for 26 x 2.10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LufbraAl

I've recently moved from my home in the New Forest to Loughborough University, and brought my rather well-used Diamondback Sorrento with me. It gets used a lot, traveling across campus and the town. I'd like to swap out the unneeded knobbly tyres it has for something slicker for road use. Anyone have any recommendations? It's got 26 x 2.10 wheels, which I'd rather not pay to replace.

Last edited:

sight-pin

Veteran
I have the same size tyres on my MTB, If i do change mine for the road it will probably be for these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-city-jet-mtb-tyre/ In the 26x1.95 size as they come in two sizes, i would think the 26x1.5 may look a little thin on a MTB imho. Or maybe the Marathon Plus would be better? Although much more expensive.

Welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
LufbraAl

LufbraAl

Thanks for the welcome! I'd seen the city jets around, wasn't sure if the 1.95 would fit onto a 2.10 rim. Will I need to get some new inner tubes to fit as well?

sight-pin

Veteran
You will need new tubes if you go for the 26x1.5's, but i don't think you will for the 1.95's, I dare say someone on here will definitely know for sure though, If not a quick phone call to your supplier to be sure.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is the rim really 2.1 or just the current (and original) tyres?

City jet should be fine. I ride Delta cruiser on a couple of bikes and I think they're both the old Schwalbe Active Line style. Only go for the harder Marathon plus if you suffer and hate punctures, and are Willing to sacrifice some money, comfort and rolling resistance to prevent them.

OP
OP
LufbraAl

LufbraAl

That's what's marked on the tyres, yes. Anyway, after a quick trip to Sainsbury's I popped in to the bike shop, and have acquired at pair of Schwalbe Silento IIs. I'll go pop them on and take them for a spin in a minute. Quick thumbs-up to Pedal Power Bikes in Louhborough, very helpful and quick service. Happily answered my stupid questions.

upandover

Guru
I'm glad you found some. Just for the record, I think what you're reading is the tyre size, not the rim size. My Rockrider 8.1 came with 2 inch tyres, and I've been happily running 1.3 inch on the rims for a long time.

Great that you found some good ones. :smile:

OP
OP
LufbraAl

LufbraAl

As am I! It's rather good fun being able to overtake those on the shiny road bikes - evidentally riding MTB tyres for so long has built up some leg strength. It's just a shame somethings bent my rear brake rotor. More money out the bank :sad:

OP
OP
LufbraAl

LufbraAl

Upside down for tyre change, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMAG0802.jpg
    IMAG0802.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 15
Top Bottom