Road tyres for the CX..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Been pondering what to put on, would like to keep the width to 'comfort' level so have thought about some-
Marathon racers 30mm
Marathon Greenguard 32mm
Marathon Supreme 32mm

Don't often see any of these mentioned on here, any experience with the above?
Am a fan of Schwalbe tyres so probably not going to go for any other make, though it currently runs on Specialized CX Armadillo Elite 32mm which are semi-knobbly.

Cheers.

Norm

**<< watches with interest...**

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Th Green guard tyres are Marathons are they not? Pretty much the best balance between puncture resistance and weight in the range IMHO. I haven't tried the supremes, though Spa cycles had them cheaper than most places last time I looked.

How about the Durano (Plus), which is sort of a slick Marathon (Plus).

I know you prefer Schwalbe, but I have Conti Sport contacts on one bike, and I really like them. Faster than the Marathons, but don't seem to puncture either (I've had one puncture in about 3000 miles on them)

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
I
Been pondering what to put on, would like to keep the width to 'comfort' level so have thought about some-
Marathon racers 30mm
Marathon Greenguard 32mm
Marathon Supreme 32mm

Don't often see any of these mentioned on here, any experience with the above?
Am a fan of Schwalbe tyres so probably not going to go for any other make, though it currently runs on Specialized CX Armadillo Elite 32mm which are semi-knobbly.

Cheers.

Just over 12 months back I went through a stage of trying to find the exact tyre you refering to and I can say without doubt that the best tyre Ive found is the schwalbe land cruiser in 700x32c. It will safely inflate to 65psi (despite what the side wall says so it's fast enough for roads and having done 2 CX sportives on these tyres, there obviously good enough for the rough stuf. Best part is there onlt £15 each and have green guard P***ture protection. Whatever you do, don't be tempted by the Schwalbe sammy-slicks, there horrid, far too soft and feel like your riding with flat tyres.

hope this helps

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Th Green guard tyres are Marathons are they not? Pretty much the best balance between puncture resistance and weight in the range IMHO. I haven't tried the supremes, though Spa cycles had them cheaper than most places last time I looked.

How about the Durano (Plus), which is sort of a slick Marathon (Plus).

I know you prefer Schwalbe, but I have Conti Sport contacts on one bike, and I really like them. Faster than the Marathons, but don't seem to puncture either (I've had one puncture in about 3000 miles on them)
I run and like the Durano+ on my road bike, but they are 23/25mm.
Will use Spa for the Supremes if I go with those, great price compared to other places I've seen them.

Phil- It's more a case of having a nice set of slicks for those weeks when I know I won't be going off road, like now it's far too muddy to commute on the TPT so will stick to the road.

Only waying up future plans at the minute, though I have done over 500 miles on it already :thumbsup:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Potsy, I have Marathon Supreme on one bike at 700x32 and another at 700x40(622-42 ERTO but this is the way Schwalbe sizes). It's a little mix and match at present as the 700x40 are off in favour of the studded M Winters and I took the 700x32 off in place of standard Marathons at 700x32 for the Winter as well. The studded tyres will stay on the future roster but I'll not get more standard Marathons when they wear out, I'll just run the Supremes.

So my limited direct comparisons:-

Supreme 700x40 replaced M+ 700x35, they are comfier, almost half the weight and feel a lot faster, but real world translation of that speed is around 1mph. Oh and much easier on/off.

Supreme 700x32 have been on bikes that have run everything from 700x23 to 700x40. The latest incarnation was a swap out for Conti Grand Prix 700x28. I didn't feel, or see reflected on my computer, any loss of speed in the 28 to 32 change. But I did notice a marked increase in comfort. Whereas that comfort increase is almost totally absent with the 700x32 standard Marathons(unless I run them really soft), hence why I'll just stick to the Supremes year round in future.

I have run both sizes of the Supreme on a previous bike and the 40s felt more sluggish than the 32s. It was more a feeling though as the reality of my computer said the difference never went beyond 0.5mph.

I know I've posted it before and can't remember the precise details now but I did compare two bikes at two ends of the spectrum. My Surly Xcheck in commuter mode with 700x35 M+ tyres weighing in at 35lbs plus panniers and mudguards. With my Giant with 700x23 tyres, no luggage, no guards and weighing in around 22lbs. Over my 20 mile commute my best on the Surly was about 16mph and the Giant about 18.5mph. Both bikes were running butterfly bars at the time, the Xcheck was a 9 speed hub gear and the Giant 27 speed derailleurs. The Xcheck was a comfier bike when I was tired and it was probably edging it on the comfort side when I wasn't. The Giant felt relatively much faster than the 2.5mph difference would suggest. This leads me to believe that the 'bone jarring' ride on the rock hard 700x23s created the illusion of extra speed.

That comparison wasn't scientific, or planned, just after the fact observation. I have no idea how much each individual difference made but it's not hard to take some educated guesses. I'm also aware that I may have been putting more in to get the top speeds out of the Xcheck. But this was at least partially offset by the increased comfort as the weeks commutes progressed.

Finally I did have a brief flirtation with an M+ at 700x28 and it was hideous compared to the same tyre at 700x35.

Norm

...I can say without doubt that the best tyre Ive found is the schwalbe land cruiser in 700x32c.
That's interesting, I was looking at those in 26x2.0 for my hack bike. I've got City Jets on there at the moment, as it very rarely ventures off road, but I would have put Land Cruisers on there for the mucky stuff.

I hadn't thought about them in 700c size, though I don't know why.

As always, a Google on those tyres turns up a Cycle Chat thread on them. ^_^

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
That's interesting, I was looking at those in 26x2.0 for my hack bike. I've got City Jets on there at the moment, as it very rarely ventures off road, but I would have put Land Cruisers on there for the mucky stuff.

I hadn't thought about them in 700c size, though I don't know why.

As always, a Google on those tyres turns up a Cycle Chat thread on them. ^_^

I have some of those on my MTB ........ but then you already know that ;)

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
PaulG - Those Landcruisers look like what I have on already, I will be keeping them for any offroading.
MacB- Informative as ever, thanks. Could you do one of your scientific tests with a pair of the Marathon Racers? I think it's between those and the Supremes, the GG Marathons might be a bit too heavy. :thumbsup:
In fact, you could then let me buy them from you for a nice discount :giggle:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
PaulG - Those Landcruisers look like what I have on already, I will be keeping them for any offroading.
MacB- Informative as ever, thanks. Could you do one of your scientific tests with a pair of the Marathon Racers? I think it's between those and the Supremes, the GG Marathons might be a bit too heavy. :thumbsup:
In fact, you could then let me buy them from you for a nice discount :giggle:

What, you don't want some fancy carbon forks then?

I'd love to help you out but I already have two more sets of the supremes, at each size, in storage. They were on a sale price and apparently tyres store well...or so I hope. At my current mileage level my tyre supply may outlive me :whistle:

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
What, you don't want some fancy carbon forks then?

I'd love to help you out but I already have two more sets of the supremes, at each size, in storage. They were on a sale price and apparently tyres store well...or so I hope. At my current mileage level my tyre supply may outlive me :whistle:
I'll take a set of the 32mm Supremes off your hands, £30 the pair? :whistle:
Think of the extra space you'd be getting back :hugs:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I run and like the Durano+ on my road bike, but they are 23/25mm.
Actually, they are available in 28mm as well, wired only. I'm a fan too, both road bikes have the 25mms on. Might well go for those on the Portland when the Marathons are worn.

Top Bottom