roadie trying mountainbiking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

GilesM said:
Downhill courses were a little different then, I would love to see him ride a championship DH course on a full rigid now, I doubt he would be last, but he definately wouldn't be on the podium, that Santa Cruz thing he now rides is as far from a fully rigid as is possible, and also very different to the early downhill rigs of a 10, 15 years ago.

Agreed. I have a fully rigid mountain bike of 1992 vintage, I don't think it would last long on a modern DH course! I certainly couldn't tackle the black run at Brechfa on it, yet I made it down on my modern full susser.

My point was only that skill makes much more difference than the bike, not that the bike makes no difference at all.

But speaking of DH, have you noticed that some pro DHers are using all-mountain style bikes rather than full DH rigs?

And as for Peaty - what a result!

GilesM

Legendary Member
User482 said:
But speaking of DH, have you noticed that some pro DHers are using all-mountain style bikes rather than full DH rigs?

I think this is some sort of logical evolution, the AM stuff is getting alot stronger, but staying at a sensible weight, and the DH racers want every tenth of a second they can find, if it's strong enough and lighter, then they'll use it, and the AM bikes are becoming seriously long travel bikes aswell, in a few years time, I think the only difference between a DH rig and AM bike will be the closer gear ratio on for the downhill, and perhaps adjustable fork travel for the AM bikes. Interesting that the world champs video on Peaty's own website starts off by advertising the Orange 160, a true AM bike, and something that it is very easy to fall in lust with.

User482 said:
And as for Peaty - what a result!

Delighted for him, at long last he can actually wear a rainbow jersey, fanatastic.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
There's an eye-watering mtb 'urban myth' about a guy who is in that position, his shorts get caught in the tread which dragged his nuts under the brake bridge....

That's a thought I like to keep well out of my head on steep descents........

Mr Pig

Kirstie said:
There's an 'urban myth' about a guy who get caught in the tread which dragged his nuts under the brake bridge....

It could happen I guess! I often wonder if life would be better if I just got them chopped off...

Top Bottom