roadie trying mountainbiking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

GregCollins said:
that's the main reason for fitting a rear guard... so there's a nice bit of plastic 'tween crown jewels and the tyre.

ah but without one, they can only effectively get sanded down, whereas with one they could be sucked into it and trapped. ;)

lukesdad

GilesM said:
Depends if we are talking up or downhill:smile:

No it depends on who is riding the bike Im afraid!;)

GilesM

Legendary Member
lukesdad said:
No it depends on who is riding the bike Im afraid!;)

Not always, can you imagine how close to the podium Steve Peat would be if he road a National Downhill event on 1.8 semi slicks;)

U

User482

GilesM said:
Not always, can you imagine how close to the podium Steve Peat would be if he road a National Downhill event on 1.8 semi slicks;)

When he first started racing, he would beat everyone on their fancy DH rigs, riding a fully rigid Kona!

Mr Pig

User482 said:
When he first started racing, he would beat everyone on their fancy DH rigs, riding a fully rigid Kona!

I've never seen any correlation between having suspension and being fastest over rough ground. Not talking about racing, just from my trips out with mates. I've seen guys blat down hills at idiotic speed on cheapo ridged bikes, far faster than I would dare. And they're often faster up the hill because their bikes are lighter! Who's wise?

RedBike

I've never seen any correlation between having suspension and being fastest over rough ground.
Suspension is no susbstitute for skill but there's no doubt what so ever that it helps you go quicker / keep control over rougher ground.

Beg, borrow or hire a long travel full sus bike and take it down a rough trail. If you don't notice just how much smoother it is than a rigid bike then your clearly not going quickly over rough terrain.

Mr Pig

RedBike said:
If you don't notice just how much smoother it is than a rigid bike then your clearly not going quickly over rough terrain.

This is true. Guys on rigid bikes often comment on not being able to see because of the vibration through the bars.

Suspension is no substitute for skill

Naa, it's balls, no substitute for balls! Anyone can sit on a bike and roll down a hill without pulling the brakes if they've got the guts to. The rest of us consider what will happen if you crash.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Everyone should learn to ride properly on a rigid bike, then graduate to a HT and when that is mastered only then should they be allowed to trade up to the ability compensator that a FS bike can be in the hands of the unskilled. Or else they should just keep the flip out of my effing way on the trails as I'm bored with having to stop because the rider on the expensive full boinger in front has fallen off AGAIN or is struggling to get up the climb AGAIN.

There is more to MTB'ing than going downhill, for sure, though maybe not much more if downhill MTB is your game, personally I love a good climb or a simple XC jaunt using as little tarmac as possible. But going downhill fast is a huge part of the fun. Remember your brakes are for speed control not for comfort - if you're not scared you just ain't going fast enough.

and sometimes not having 20/20 vision on the downhills makes you go faster - if you can't see the obstacles clearly I think you tend not to (over) react to them :wacko:

GilesM

Legendary Member
User482 said:

Downhill courses were a little different then, I would love to see him ride a championship DH course on a full rigid now, I doubt he would be last, but he definately wouldn't be on the podium, that Santa Cruz thing he now rides is as far from a fully rigid as is possible, and also very different to the early downhill rigs of a 10, 15 years ago.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
Naa, it's balls, no substitute for balls! Anyone can sit on a bike and roll down a hill without pulling the brakes if they've got the guts to. The rest of us consider what will happen if you crash.

The differance is that the speed that you think you might crash for each person is increased on a good full sus bike. Can I suggest you go to Glentress, hire a good full sus bike, they have Orange and Santa Cruz, and ride the Black run, you'll soon understand. There is a section of down hill on the black called Deliverance, I have ridden it many times on a HT, and on a full sus, without a doubt, I am faster on the full sus, however ride it on any bike, it is just fantastic.

Mr Pig

GilesM said:
Can I suggest you go to Glentress, hire a good full sus bike.

I don't like going down bumpy hills too fast. I'm too old and fat ;0) On tarmac or farm tracks, fine, but really rough stuff is too dodgy for fat old pigs. Leave that to the skilled and idiotic.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
I don't like going down bumpy hills too fast. I'm too old and fat ;0) On tarmac or farm tracks, fine, but really rough stuff is too dodgy for fat old pigs. Leave that to the skilled and idiotic.

Compared to a good downhiller, I don't come into the skilled catagory:biggrin:

The best thing about cycling is everyone can find some form of it that they really enjoy.

Jonathan M

The difference between rigid/HT and full sus is that riding a rigid/HT means some thought has to be given to the line, more so than on a full sus. So riding a rigid/HT can mean the rider develops more "finesse".

Don't know why I'm posting that bollox though, ridden HT for most of the 15 years I've been MTB'ing and am still a lousy rider on the technical stuff - if I was right I should be asuperb rider by now!

Top Bottom