Roast spuds.......what is your foolproof method?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Is the correct answer! I would substitute only olive oil and re-stress a point made earlier: that the choice of spud is crucial. The OP specified Maris Piper, which are fine/good, and often used hereabouts, though given my druthers I'd always go King Edward.

You work on each spuddy with a fork? Are you, like, mad? Drain 'em, put the lid back on, shake till done. Done.

As for 'turning' pieces, interesting. It does bring to mind my 10 year old mind being boggled by watching carrots in a factory being 'turned' to become the uniform shape & size preferred by the American consumer, a process which left about half the carrot used in the bin.

Oh, one more thought for anyone who's never done it, you test for the 'doneness' of the boiling potatoes by poking/scraping them with a fork. If they still feel hard, boil on. They're done when you can feel the surface give slightly to the fork...when you feel you can scrape them. Doneness matters, because if they're too hard they won't go floury, soak up oil and get crispy.

I used to use lard, because my mum always did. I was recommended olive oil for health reasons, and it seems fine to me. And healthier.
Lard is fine, as is dripping, goose fat.
Olive oil shouldn’t be used at high temps as it has a low smoke point…it’s a poor frying oil and a waste of money when Rapeseed is pretty much as healthy as Olive oil as makes no difference at roasting temps.

Fab Foodie

Re Olive Oil v Rapeseed Oil (fully acknowledging its down to personal choice), and again deferring to Mrs TB and her 35 years as a chef, Olive Oil tends to make the roast potatoes less crispy than Rapeseed Oil, and can make them a little too "oily".

But, hey what do I know, the only cookery programme I ever watch is Nigella, and whenever my wife "catches" me watching, she always asks "So what's she making?" to which I always have to honestly reply " I have absolutely no idea!" ^_^
Mrs TB is on the money.
Olive oil only for low temp ‘frying’ or sautéing….

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I cut the spuds into pieces a bit bigger than a golf ball and stick them in a pan of salted cold water, then bring them to the boil for three minutes, before draining them in a sieve. They then get put around the joint of meat to be roasted, closer than a bevy of Bunnies to Hugh Hefner. The important thing is that the spuds get the benefit of all the fat that comes out of the joint, so baste the joint and the spuds with your oil/fat of choice quite frequently. BTW, my efforts with goose fat were a spectacular disaster.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I dare not ask…but go on!
We were in Cornwall at Christmas. The sainted Delia had just started talking about goose fat and I fancied taking a punt. It was my only task of the day apart from the bread sauce which I had decided to take under my wing too. It was a glorious day and the family went for a walk while I stayed at the controls. I believe gin and wine was partaken of in their absence and that the kitchen got completely out of control. The family draws a veil over the whole episode.

Fab Foodie

I cut the spuds into pieces a bit bigger than a golf ball and stick them in a pan of salted cold water, then bring them to the boil for three minutes, before draining them in a sieve. They then get put around the joint of meat to be roasted, closer than a bevy of Bunnies to Hugh Hefner. The important thing is that the spuds get the benefit of all the fat that comes out of the joint, so baste the joint and the spuds with your oil/fat of choice quite frequently. BTW, my efforts with goose fat were a spectacular disaster.
I bet your goose was cooked when they returned….

Fab Foodie

I was forgiven and we had a lovely meal. Four hours later I decided to take an evening walk. Somehow I ended up contemplating the beauty of the stars while resting in a Cornish hedge.
Man after my own heart :okay: Amateur astronomy has its benefits….

Eziemnaik

Über Member
IMG_20211017_183627.jpg

Brown & crispy...:becool:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Re Olive Oil v Rapeseed Oil (fully acknowledging its down to personal choice), and again deferring to Mrs TB and her 35 years as a chef, Olive Oil tends to make the roast potatoes less crispy than Rapeseed Oil, and can make them a little too "oily".

But, hey what do I know, the only cookery programme I ever watch is Nigella, and whenever my wife "catches" me watching, she always asks "So what's she making?" to which I always have to honestly reply " I have absolutely no idea!" ^_^
"Baps, she's making baps" should be your response. See how long you last...

Top Bottom