Roast spuds.......what is your foolproof method?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
With MrsD not being well I have taken over all duties.
I enjoy cooking but have never done roast spuds.
I am using Maris Pipers spuds.
1. I want brown
2. I want crispy
Suggestions welcome.
BTW.....I am OK with all other items ie veg and gravy etc.

Brandane

Legendary Member
The single man's recommendation: buy Auntie Bessies frozen ones, and chuck them in the air fryer for 15 minutes.

winjim

Smash the cistern
You know what I'm gonna say - air fryer.

Peel and chop, parboil 5-10 mins, cool immediately under running water and leave to drain until very dry. Then toss in a small amount of oil and air fry at 200C for 20mins. Alternatively put them in with the meat so they roast in the fat, which is the more traditional method.

You can do the parboiling and draining bit well ahead of time. I do my prep in the morning before everyone else is up. The important bit as I see it is to cool and drain them properly. Some people will tell you to shake them hard in the pan with the oil so the edges go mushy. They are silly people.

Peel and cut into size
Boil in salted water for 5-10 minutes (normally closer to 10)
in the meantime preheat the oven to 200-220 and put a shallow oven dish in with a couple of mm of oil in it (my wife prefer me to use lard)

WHen the potatoes are boiled - drain well and shake in the pan
pull the dish out of the oven and tip the spuds in
turn the spuds over until all sides are coated in the oil
put back in the oven
turn when they start to brown - probably 15-20 mins -

remove when brown - eat immediatly

Peel potatoes and cut to desired size (not too small).

Place in a pan of salted cold water, bring up to boil, cook until just softening on edges.

Drain away all the water, keep in the pan, and shake so edges roughen.

Pour over some crisp and dry rapeseed oil to coat them all over. Place some more of this oil in the bottom of a roasting tin, place potatoes into tin, making sure all sides have oil on them.

Sprinkle with a little more sea salt over the top (and sprinkle sparingly some dried thyme if desired).

Roast in a preheated oven for about an hour on 200c (Fan assisted 180) / Gas 6.

Turn half way through cooking.

Cook until crispy on outside (should be fluffy on inside).

Chef's tip: If out want to get them fully cooked ahead, as long as you drain all the oil off, they can sit on the side, and you can put them back in the oven, in a dry roasting tin, for about 15 mins at same as above.

Above provided by Mrs TB, professional chef, not by me :okay:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Any or all of the above suggestions, but, just before you put them in the oven (on a tray with greaseproof paper to save washing up) roll them in crushed crisps.
Salt & vinegar is best, but cheese & onion will do 😉

I use Delia"s recepie. Always foolproof and pressure tested to eliminate idiot errors.
Put the parboiled and shaken/roughed up pots into sizzling hot oil ( on a gas ring) to seal.
I cook for about 50 mins in hot oven.
Add rosemary for extra cheffiness.

I like Aunt Bessey and I like Delia, but which is best...

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
With old potatoes, if you want decent crispy roasties, here are Two Additional Steps

1. After peeling, “turn“ each potato piece. Meaning, take all the sharp edges off the spud with knife or peeler, like you would take the arriss off, say, a window ledge timber before undercoating, so the paint sticks. This way (and chefs waste a lot of spud in turning them all to the same shape and size - don’t do that!) you don’t get burnt edges, but wholly crispy outers.
2. After par-boiling and cooling, “scruffle” each potato (this word I made up). Meaning, take a fork and scrape the entire surface of the floury delight until it is thoroughly scruffled. This way, you will get a fluffier and yet deeper crispiness. The skins will shatter between your teeth, and your dinner will be the envy of the neighbourhood.

Another step, if you so choose. Once turned and scruffled, after the par boiling and the cooling, place the fluffy delights on a baking tray and into the freezer (or the blast chiller - don’t we all? - or into your liquid nitrogen bath) and let them chill right down before all the other steps you’ve been given. The next one should be swirling on hot goose, duck or rendered lamb or beef fat before the roasting begins.

Gorgeous.

Please, please, please do not buy ready-made. They are insanely tasteless, hopelessly filled with bad fats and ridiculously expensive.

presta

Guru
My ideal roast spuds aren't crispy. I like them sticky, covered with the savoury residue that (sometimes) forms in the bottom of the roasting tin. I think the residue comes from the blood that runs out of the meat, but it rarely appears for me.

Top Bottom