Roast chicken in a bag anyone.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Looking for easy meals someone recommended these.
Apparently you just shove the whole thing in the oven and literally cook it in the bag.
Anyone tried them?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yes, go for it!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I remember these were popular some years ago. Have tried them, nothing special really, factory bred, not much flavour. You're better off buying a better quality small chicken and putting it in foil with some herbs etc. Then remove the top half of the foil for last 10 minutes to brown it.

D

Deleted member 26715

I remember these were popular some years ago. Have tried them, nothing special really, factory bred, not much flavour. You're better off buying a better quality small chicken and putting it in foil with some herbs etc. Then remove the top half of the foil for last 10 minutes to brown it.

Not these days, we get the Asda ones, already flavoured up & very good @Dave7

Pat "5mph"

Yes, if you are a versed cook ... like me ^_^
But our Dave said he wanted it quick and easy.
Today's offerings in the major supers taste quite good, one follows the simple instructions on the packaging, meal ready.

D

Deleted member 26715

Yeah, can understand that but is it any easier than putting a chicken in foil?

They are, the herbs are already there, it creates a ballon where it cooks very well

Pat "5mph"

Yeah, can understand that but is it any easier than putting a chicken in foil?
Well, for Dave it would save time in Googling what herbs to buy, how long to cook the chicken for, at what temperature, etc.
It's only easy when you know how to do it :smile:
Oh, and maybe @Dave7 doesn't have any foil at home either, so he would need to buy it and the spices, and maybe the oil/butter too? And seasoning!
Faster and probably cheaper in a bag ^_^

gbb

Legendary Member
Its so long since I ate a 'decent' chicken, I wonder how different it would be ?
We generally buy Asda chicken, they're perfectly alright, taste like chicken, roast normally, you could add herbs etc...or not.
We have had a couple roast in the bag ones, again, perfectly alright with the added bonus of herbs already added. Again, perfectly good fit the price....plus no need to bother with foil, lids etc.
One day...I might buy a 'decent' chicken, I might be really missing out ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I know the argument for these easy cooks foods, they're convenient, no mess, no fuss and they taste okay.
When I was working I'm sure they'd be on shopping list occasionally but when you have time on your hands as I suspect our Dave has isn't it fun to do some research and make something yourself? But maybe he and others doesn't like cooking or can't be bothered, in which case I'm sure they're a godsend.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I know the argument for these easy cooks foods, they're convenient, no mess, no fuss and they taste okay.
When I was working I'm sure they'd be on shopping list occasionally but when you have time on your hands as I suspect our Dave has isn't it fun to do some research and make something yourself? But maybe he and others doesn't like cooking or can't be bothered, in which case I'm sure they're a godsend.

Maybe fun isn't at the forefront of Dave's mind at the moment and he just wants a quick fix decent meal. :okay:

Top Bottom