Roast chicken in a bag anyone.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I honestly can't remember if it was a bog-standard roasting bag, which I always think of as 'useful to keep the oven clean' but no more useful than an enclosed roasting tin, or a foil 'tent', or if it was marketed specifically for microwave use and, especially, its 'browning' effect. The latter, I think. I know I was surprised at how successful the browning of it was, having previously cooked chicken in the microwave without such a bag, and it coming out really very unappetising looking - although perfectly well-cooked and fine when added to a sauce which covered its unappealing pallid appearance.

Like you, I can't grasp how your microwave chicken browned.

I've seen telly chefs boil a whole chicken in water.

The result looks thoroughly unappetising, but the bird is undeniably properly cooked, and no doubt moist having spent its cooking time submersed.

I like crispy chicken skin, but a boiled chicken would be fine if served carved with the skin off, particularly if covered with sauce or gravy.

Or you could quickly brown pieces of removed skin in a hot frying pan and serve them as crispy chicken croutons.

However, due to personal circumstances, the OP is looking for convenience and low hassle :smile: Standard roasting of meat produces mess of pan and potentially oven

Good point, bags do help keep the oven cleaner.

A worthwhile tip is to shake a spoonful of flour into the bag before roasting.

This helps prevent spatter you may get through the slits you make in the top of the bag, which are needed to prevent the whole thing blowing up like a balloon.

Mike_P

Guru
I use a George Foreman grille, lined with oven/grease paper (use the combi roll as individually one works and the other sticks and I cannot remember which one is okay) to reduce the cleaning necessity of the grille for chicken breasts along with turkey breasts, pork loin medallions etc. A chicken breast takes around 15 mins.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looking for easy meals someone recommended these.
Apparently you just shove the whole thing in the oven and literally cook it in the bag.
Anyone tried them?

They are good, no messy oven. We use a roasting dish for non bagged chickens to stop the messy oven.

Spatch cock chickens are quick to cook.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Depends where from. Find some not full of fat.

Most of the flavour of meat, regrettably for those of us with too many inches on the waistline, comes from the fat.

Why do you think the best steaks are 'marbled'?

Chicken is generally a low fat meat, but the breast has the least fat of all which is why it has the least flavour.

As regards pieces, thighs are a much better bet.

Bone-in thighs are even better because the marrow adds flavour during cooking.

Like you, I can't grasp how your microwave chicken browned.
This was around 40 years ago, so whatever it was that acted to brown it, is probably an illegal additive by now! But the skin browned very nicely and looked like a 'proper' roast chicken, except that it wasn't crispy. It wasn't soggy either, though - and was a small price to pay for the convenience.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well, I roasted my chicken in the bag. Very impressed, moist, tender and lots of flavour.
And no mess.

presta

Guru
I like crispy chicken skin, but a boiled chicken would be fine if served carved with the skin off, particularly if covered with sauce or gravy.

I've boiled chicken pieces to make meat for sandwiches, but it's not as tasty because all the fat ends up in the water.

I've boiled chicken pieces to make meat for sandwiches, but it's not as tasty because all the fat ends up in the water.

Poaching chicken pieces in stock (using a cube) is a better option there, IMHO.

If you must boil, then lob in some peeled and roughly chopped carrots, a quartered onion and a few celery sticks cut into chunks, plus a bay leaf, some ground black pepper and some mixed dried herbs. Oh, and a few peeled cloves of garlic.

Then you can strain the chicken out to use as per, reserve the veggies and the stock, and use that to make soup.

Top Bottom