Roast chicken in a bag anyone.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had them on yellow sticker. They're ok, nothing to really write home about - it's just a bog standard supermarket chook that you just wang in the oven as is, and as per instructions. Easy if you've little time or not much in the way of kitchen skills.

One day...I might buy a 'decent' chicken, I might be really missing out ?

Yes! You are. You really do notice the difference in flavour, especially in the white meat. And the meat is much firmer, too. A free range chicken (and organic, if you're willing to spend the extra premium) is typically twice the age or more of a standard cheep chicken (see what I did there) and will have run around a field as opposed to having spent its life cooped up in a shed.

Standard supermarket birds are ready for slaughter after only five to six weeks post-hatching.

Same applies to turkey. Or any poultry, really. This is one of the occasions where it's worth spending a little bit more. Although having said that, I'm happy to buy legs or thighs from the standard range as the dark meat has more flavour anyways. They're great for making curries and casseroles and such like, which I wouldn't do with a more expensive bird.

Chick in bag is easy and clean to cook.

After cooking, cut the top off the bag, carefully remove cooked bird neck up so it drains. You are left with a lot of liquid so pour it carefully into a pan, beware of liquid that spills into the remaining bottom of bag.
Add gravy gubbins/bisto, whatever and reduce liquid on high boil.

The aluminium tray can be resused.
After eating, pick all meat off, put bones, leftover gravy, veg in a largs pot with water. Simmer at low heat overnight, or use slow cooker.
The chicken stock can be frozen or used in risotto or something.

presta

Guru
I haven't bought a whole chicken since my mother became unable to come round, perhaps 15 years, I use these chicken pieces for myself. The ones I used to get were the ones that had the stuffing alreaady in, and then just put them in a tin in the oven.

it would save time in Googling what herbs to buy
This. I find it virtually impossible to find herbs and spices that replicate the taste you get from ready made blends. I used to buy Schwartz Mediterranean Roast Veg until they stopped it, I've no idea how to get the same taste now. Certainly not by buying the bags of frozen 'Med Roast Veg'.

I didn't much like my own substitutes for Schwartz Biryani, Chilli con Carne, & Spaggy Bol either, but I've got used to them over the years.

Now Tesco have stopped their paella spice, so I'm stuck for that too. The reviews of it all complain that it wasn't as good as their previous stuff in a sachet, and it certainly wasn't, but it's still better than smoked paprika, which is what all the paella recipes say you're supposed to use.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I remember these were popular some years ago. Have tried them, nothing special really, factory bred, not much flavour. You're better off buying a better quality small chicken and putting it in foil with some herbs etc. Then remove the top half of the foil for last 10 minutes to brown it.

how often are you shopping in UK supermarkets?

vickster

Legendary Member
I haven't bought a whole chicken since my mother became unable to come round, perhaps 15 years, I use these chicken pieces for myself. The ones I used to get were the ones that had the stuffing alreaady in, and then just put them in a tin in the oven.

This. I find it virtually impossible to find herbs and spices that replicate the taste you get from ready made blends. I used to buy Schwartz Mediterranean Roast Veg until they stopped it, I've no idea how to get the same taste now. Certainly not by buying the bags of frozen 'Med Roast Veg'.

I didn't much like my own substitutes for Schwartz Biryani, Chilli con Carne, & Spaggy Bol either, but I've got used to them over the years.

Now Tesco have stopped their paella spice, so I'm stuck for that too. The reviews of it all complain that it wasn't as good as their previous stuff in a sachet, and it certainly wasn't, but it's still better than smoked paprika, which is what all the paella recipes say you're supposed to use.

Sainsbury’s have a paella seasoning
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/sainsburys-inspired-to-cook-paella-recipe-mix-30g

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another vote for a premium chicken, if funds allow.

I've used generic roasting bags for chicken and beef.

They work pretty well, no need for basting and the pan stays clean.

The finished joint does take some handling, particularly if it's a larger one.

You have to slit the bag a few times, making it very easy to spill the juices as you remove the joint from the bag.

I've used a roasting bag - I think it was a specific type, but can't remember - when I had no oven, but needed to roast a chicken. The bag enabled me to do it in the microwave (which was a very expensive beastie 40-ish years ago) and it had a lovely golden 'roasted' finish. It was also deliciously moist and juicy. I wonder if you can still get that type of roasting bag? I think I did other meaty, roasted-type things in them, too.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've used a roasting bag - I think it was a specific type, but can't remember - when I had no oven, but needed to roast a chicken. The bag enabled me to do it in the microwave (which was a very expensive beastie 40-ish years ago) and it had a lovely golden 'roasted' finish. It was also deliciously moist and juicy. I wonder if you can still get that type of roasting bag? I think I did other meaty, roasted-type things in them, too.

I've not bought any for years as I've still got a couple left on my original roll.

I think they're made of the same stuff used in toastie bags.

Thanks for the tip about the microwave - it never occurred to me a roasting bag would work well in one.

A quick Google shows they are still about:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bacofoil-Flavour-Roasting-Quicker-Cooking/dp/B00WS7G4FS/ref=asc_df_B00WS7G4FS/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=570405812567&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8070081584288046283&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046761&hvtargid=pla-1656341821601&th=1

Thanks for the tip about the microwave - it never occurred to me a roasting bag would work well in one.
I honestly can't remember if it was a bog-standard roasting bag, which I always think of as 'useful to keep the oven clean' but no more useful than an enclosed roasting tin, or a foil 'tent', or if it was marketed specifically for microwave use and, especially, its 'browning' effect. The latter, I think. I know I was surprised at how successful the browning of it was, having previously cooked chicken in the microwave without such a bag, and it coming out really very unappetising looking - although perfectly well-cooked and fine when added to a sauce which covered its unappealing pallid appearance.

Top Bottom