Robert Peston

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Is it me or does he actually know less than he thinks. He seems to bluster and stumble his way through a lot of it and regurgitates what the newsreader has already said.
I also find his strange voice and delivery offputting. I find myself often listening not to what he's saying nut how he's saying it.
Bring back old tinsel tits, Evan Davis, I say!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I don't mind how Robert Peston speaks. I think it's relative. Many BBC correspondents and researchers, particularly in politics know much less than they should do. I like both of them but think Evan Davis knows less than he thinks. They are both much better than the average BBC reporter.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've never understood what people think is odd about Peston's speech, he sounds perfectly normal to me....

snakehips

The current crisis has shown that a lot of people understand less than they thought they did , but it must be galling for Evan Davis to have to ask Robert Peston dumb 'man-in-the-street' type questions on the Today prog when he probably knows at least as much as RP.

regards.jpg
from.jpg
snakehips.jpg

P.S. old tinsel tits ? how did he get that nickname ?

asterix said:
As it turns out it's clear that nearly all of us knew less than we thought. Some of us didn't even stop to think at all.

I've found myself stopping to think and then really struggling to start again.

Wasn't a problem 30 years ago.

Arch said:
I've never understood what people think is odd about Peston's speech, he sounds perfectly normal to me....

It's not the accent, we all have those, but the way he stands at a slight angle leaning in to camera that puts me off. Plus, of course, his HABIT of stressing words in strange places.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
BigonaBianchi said:
I find him VERY irritating, almost patronizing...the rest of the BOAB family turn green and vomit when he appears on the news.

Joking or not, that's pretty close to my reaction to Peston, IMHO he's getting some sort of high from all the doom and gloom.

I'd also disagree with the idea that people didn't know what was happening or voice concerns. I've worked in finance for 20+ years and the last 10 have included numerous conversations about how 'bad' things would be when it all went pear shaped. No crystal ball, most of us thought it would happen when the .com bubble burst. We just couldn't believe the values being placed on companies that had no track record, no revenue stream and sweet F.A. in the way of orders or pipeline. There was also genuine surprise at just how far the markets inflated before the pin was stuck in. Can't claim to have known about the sub-prime aspect but there was always going to be a 'straw' for the camels back. 2 years ago a colleague of mine was expecting their second child with his wife. They owned a small flat but couldn't afford to upgrade to the size of accomodation they needed. He took the option to sell his flat, store the capital, rent, and then buy something bigger when the market slumped. He's currently looking at the housing market but is a little hampered as, even with his prudent actions, his capital investments took a bit of a hammering. Though he's working well at moving it around and repiaring the damage.

Some folks seem to think big commerce is run by sensible, innovative, folks who listen to sound financial advice. My experience is rather one of a bunch of gungho, yahoos, who can make staggering personal fortunes based on short term share price gains. The one truly impressive aspect they all have in common is the size of their egos. When you actually look at some of the gains in companies values you often find just a series of acquisitions. They have not 'grown' the company and often the only real growth has been in the size of debt, neatly concealed in the balance sheet.

Sorry, Friday night, just finished my year end and been ill this week so cycling has been curtailed:biggrin:

Quoth

MacBludgeon said:
I'd also disagree with the idea that people didn't know what was happening or voice concerns.

Yup, I agree wholeheartedly. Everyone knew the party couldn't last and I get the impression that the only "surprise" was that it lasted as long as it did. Anyone with half a brain could tell the credit binge was unsustainable but then, if you're earning 6-figure bonuses and your 1-bed plywood flat in Stabby Crack Lane is "worth" £500,000 and rising why would you stick your neck out and be the naysayer?

Pesto might have an odd manner of speech but if anything, he's downplaying the doom and gloom. Things are well and truly b*ggered and everyone in power is trying to revert to the old, broken system.

Top Bottom