Rock Rules

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
The Best Selling Albums of All Time (in millions):

1. Michael Jackson, Thriller (100+)
2. AC/DC, Back in Black (45+)
3. Meat Loaf, Bat out of Hell (43+)
4. Eagles, Their Greatest Hits (42+)
5. Dirty Dancing Soundtrack (42+)
6. The Bodyguard Soundtrack (42+)
7. The Phantom of the Opera (40+)
8. Backstreet Boys, Millennium (40+)
9. Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack (40+)
10. Fleetwood Mac, Rumours (40+)
11. Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon (40+)

On all these recordings, ONLY ONE has ALL words and music by Jim Steinman's Bat Out Of Hell.

http://www.jimsteinman.com/bestalbum1.htm

simonali

Guru
On all these recordings, ONLY ONE has ALL words and music by Jim Steinman's Bat Out Of Hell.

I don't understand that sentence.

I think AC/DCs Back in Black is the best selling rock album of all time.

Highway to Hell may not have sold as many units but was in my opinion a better album, in part because of Bon Scott.

We could be probably have a thread dedicated to what the best ACDC album is; none of them will include an album after the very early 80s. Bon is the reason for this.

MarkF

Guru
I had no idea AC/DC had sold so many albums, never took any notice of them when I was growing up, were as cool as The Dooleys to me. Then I saw a concert on TV a couple of years ago, live at River Plate's stadium, and they were great and have listened a lot since then. :okay:

Er, so without being a long term fan, Bon Scott sounds like a weedy, whiny vocalist compared to Johnson, also had a nerdy face like Joey Ramone.

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
Johnson sounds like Alex Jones( nut-job) gargling soup!
I still like him but I can see his limitations.

I don't know if either are "any good" as rock vocalists, it was just a surprise to me to listen to older stuff with Scott having become aware of them with Johnson. Partly explains the huge support for Scott via fans in the v Johnson debates.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Sadly the age of Rock music has passed. It probably died 15 years ago. Just look at the complete lack of any mainstream rock bands in the pop charts.
Popular music today is very fast moving and revolves around single artists not bands.
I’m sure rock bands will still exist but not as mainstream popular music.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I had no idea AC/DC had sold so many albums, never took any notice of them when I was growing up, were as cool as The Dooleys to me. Then I saw a concert on TV a couple of years ago, live at River Plate's stadium, and they were great and have listened a lot since then. :okay:

Er, so without being a long term fan, Bon Scott sounds like a weedy, whiny vocalist compared to Johnson, also had a nerdy face like Joey Ramone.

Great gig - wish I could've been there. 200000 attended.

I recorded that transmission on our BT box thingy and an upgrade wiped it out so I had to buy the DVD.

Let there be rock:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O24AipZ-buQ

Top Bottom