Rock shox SID...so light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
SIDs track like a shopping trolley.
Good luck with them...

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

I guess I'm lucky then...because mine are perfect.
Perhaps the beefed up Aheadset I have fitted and the fact I weigh only 12.5 stone is why they're ok.
Still...time will tell.

christian dieu

stevenb said:
I guess I'm lucky then...because mine are perfect.
Perhaps the beefed up Aheadset I have fitted and the fact I weigh only 12.5 stone is why they're ok.
Still...time will tell.

When talking XC rider and weight I wouldn't exactly use the word "only" when saying 12.5 stone :blush:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just voted ourselves a divvy at Friday's AGM so I'll be ordering some Rebas this morning. I'm looking forward to seeing how much they improve the handling of the bike and my own confidence on downhills.

alfablue

I have some SID SL's (2001 vintage), I really like them, they seem to track fine, and they work so well I am virtually unaware of them doing their job. I am also a lardy 12.5 stones. Maybe there is a lot of variation between specific models...?

gillan

got the world cups

very light

i must be used to them because whenever my mate has a go on the bike he thinks that the headset is lose and that there is something seriously wrong with the front end

they are going into their 5th season (2008) although this one doesn't really count

The sid's look very nice...I'm after an 80mm fork upgrade for my bike, but somehow a 300-odd pound fork seems overkill on a £300 bike...:biggrin: Think i'm better off finding a tora or similar...at least i can just about afford them...

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

punkypossum said:
The sid's look very nice...I'm after an 80mm fork upgrade for my bike, but somehow a 300-odd pound fork seems overkill on a £300 bike...:biggrin: Think i'm better off finding a tora or similar...at least i can just about afford them...

try Merlin Cycles mate.
They sell Rock Shox forks cheap.
I got my SID race forks for £180.
:biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well it's Monday morning and on Saturday I fitted my Rebas (£207.00 from Merlin). So far I'm feeling pretty depressed about them. The good points: they are plush and smooth and much stiffer, allowing me to blast over stuff, which would have unsettled me with the SIDs. They are black not red so the bike looks better (frame is a Ti Global).

Bad points: they are about an inch longer so the geometry of the bike is altered, to keep an aerodynamic position I have had to remove the spacer on the stem to drop the bars, which have ended up about 15mm higher. I expect I'll get used to that but the biggest issue in my mind is THE WEIGHT! I have just spent £207 to increase the weight of my beautiful lightweight racy Global by 350 gms. Not a lot you might say but the bike feels heavier and slower, quite dead and leaden in fact. I am seriously disappointed and hoping I'll get used to this, otherwise I'm going to trade them for a pair of SIDs. Watch this space.

Chris B

I've just aquired a set of Dual-air Revelations from merlin and just taking them out of the box was a suprise - a 130mm fork that weighs far less than my old 80mm Marzocchis. Nice knobs and that.

I'll be reducing the travel down to 115mm (internal spacer) before fitting but I do expect my geometry to be messed up as per Rigid Raider - but Marzocchis are traditionally very tall for their travel.

Be interesting - I've got a rigid singlespeed version of the bike that will get them fitted (for days I'm feeling fit) so the difference between them will be strange.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

My old Manitou Axel Comp forks were really no good at all for my bikes geometry. When changing to the SID's I got the steerer tube cut 20mm shorter than the Manitou's were and I have reveresed by Bontrager select stem. The stem still has a very slight rise but now I feel far more comfy on the bike...now I sit on the bike....where as before I felt like I was sitting behind the bike.
My SID's haven't faulted me on or off road once yet. They track fine and the ride is very comfy indeed.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have just read on Sheldon Brown that there are bikes with head angles, which vary as much as 10 degrees and they are all rideable. Yet he says that even the biggest possible variation in fork length won't affect head angle by more than half a degree. This makes me feel better.

Top Bottom