Rock stuck in a SPD cleat's mounting screw

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annirak

Veteran
Looks like I must have walked over a piece of gravel that's just the right size to get stuck in one of the screws that hold my SPD cleat on. I'm thinking of getting a bike fitting done after having a bit of trouble on my first century. I anticipate that adjustments to my cleats may be necessary, so I'd like to get that rock out first!

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20150509_164201.jpg
    IMG_20150509_164201.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 118

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Very small sharp pointy object and dig it out .

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
I guess it was a brittle rock. I tried to dig it out with a small screw driver and it flaked away until I had enough space to dig it out.

wisdom

Guru
I have exactly the same problem with mine.Not got mine out yet the stone is very hard and doesnt seem to flake easily.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Its a regular thing with SPD's, always have something small and pointy to hand. Even the smallest Allen key or two on a multitool will suffice

vickster

Legendary Member
I've managed to round off one of the bolts on one pair of shoes while trying to dig out bloody chewing gum, can't make needed adjustments to the shoes so they are now unusable :angry:

Tim Hall

Once you've got the stone out, fill the hole with hot melt glue to prevent a repeat performance. The hot melt glue can be easily picked out if needed.

Top Bottom