Roger, Wilko.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Was round at daughter #3's today servicing her and her fellers bikes for them.

For years ive been using this particular spray lube. A bit like WD40 of GiT85, but a fair bit thicker (thicker than even duck oil) so as well as doing the penetrative and cleaning bit it's a more meaningful lubricant. I love the stuff.

I bought 6 cans some years ago and today started on the final can. And that's when the penny dropped. It's Wilko own brand stuff, and Wilko are no more :cry:

When this one is done I will have to then use multiple lesser ungents instead of this wondrous brew. I may have to phone the Samaritans.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

For years ive been using this particular spray lube. A bit like WD40 of GiT85, but a fair bit thicker (thicker than even duck oil) so as well as doing the penetrative and cleaning bit it's a more meaningful lubricant. I love the stuff.

I bought 6 cans some years ago and today started on the final can. And that's when the penny dropped. It's Wilko own brand stuff, and Wilko are no more :cry:

When this one is done I will have to then use multiple lesser ungents instead of this wondrous brew. I may have to phone the Samaritans.
That level of commitment to them is probably one of the reasons why they have gone bump

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

They’ll probably be engaged.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I shan't miss it. Numerous stores in town sell the same stuff, and since they installed the most frightening self checkout experience, I kind of stopped shopping there despite habitually wondering in and doing a circuit. If i did buy something, I'd always join the big queue for the one manned(personned?) checkout... along with every one else who were too scared to self checkout 🫣

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I went in the local one to get a few things. However, it's all the stuff they were short on anyway and none of it was there.

There were signs up saying "Administration Sale" but I couldn't see anything that was reduced and the store was clearly being 'shrunk'. Whoever takes it over, if they do, will have a massive amount of re-stocking / stock change investment.

PapaZita

Guru
I like Bilt Hamber Ferrosol for something a bit more serious than WD40/GT85. No idea how it compares price or performance-wise to the Wilko stuff (I suspect it’s more £££) but it could be worth a try.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
That's the stuff Mazz. It's like GiT84 on steroids. Grab yourself a boxful while it's cheap.

BTW, I like the description...

"Suitability : For the Hands-On Person"

So if you've had an accident with an industrial guillotine and your hands are off then it's not for you.

Shame about Wilko. The one in Reading was a regular for me - bike stuff, shaving soap, antihistamine tablets, DIY stuff - loved their selection of nuts/bolts/screws you put in a bag, just like their old style pick-and-mix sweets.
Not so long ago the town also lost its Clas Olsen store, another favourite of mine. Oh well, that's progress for you :sad:

I will miss it for the DIY section
just basic stuff but not aisles of variety like in B&Q - so you just see what you want and get it rather than trying to work out which of seventeen versions is the right one!

EDIT - same for gardening - always seem to have the bit I want without it being ina kit with 10 other bits I don;t need
and at half the price than the posh gardening places up the road

johnnyb47

Guru
Just had a look around my local Wilco's.
It was the busiest I've seen it in ages with people looking for bargains. Seasonal stuff like solar lights and outdoor items were reduced by 50%. Home/DIY things had 20% off. It must be awful for the staff seeing the shops being stripped bare and knowing the inevitable is coming.

DRM

Guru
I'd noticed our local Wilko was like it had been robbed at the end of May, with very little stock, I did have a gut feeling that it didn't bode well, yet it came out a few weeks back the owners had still managed to take a 3 million bonus out of the business before the wheels fell off!

Top Bottom