Roger, Wilko.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I always found it a bit thin to use as a chain lube , ok for stuff where you would use a thin lubricant .

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The Wilco lube must be a rebadged product - do we know what it is ?

A very good question Mr Shed. It seems a fair bit thicker, more oil and less solvent than most spray lubes I've come across and for that reason I've struggled to find any obvious name brand match.

As Mr Knight says, still a bit thin for chains, but it's more robust, manly nature makes it much better suited as a lubricant and protectant than the usual suspects.

Some good news at last. It has been announced that the Reading Wilko will live on, at least for the short term. Same goes for all the Berkshire stores. However, 52 stores elsewhere in the UK are set to be permanently closed this month. Hope the axaman doesn't cometh to Reading till March, so I can enjoy a perusal once more.

GuyBoden

Guru
The scousers have bought most of the Wilko shops, so you'll now be able to buy a pair of kecks, have some scran, whilst wearing a new pair of bins drinking a can from the offy .

I'm wondering if they'll let us Woolly Backs into the shops. :laugh:

freiston

Veteran
I used to like Wilkos - they filled the gap that Woolies left. In fact, food shopping aside, I reckon I used Woolies and Wilkos more than any other town centre shop (though when I worked in Solihull, Robert Dyas was a useful substitute).

A few years back, Wilkos reduced the size of their Coventry store by about half and similarly reduced the range they carried on the shelves, making online ordering a requirement if what I wanted was not in stock in-store. If I'm ordering online, I might as well get it delivered as make a trip into town to collect it - the lack of counter staff didn't help the experience. I don't really bother going into town now unless I have a requirement such as visiting the optician. Seems to me it's a bit of a catch 22 - if they don't "rationalise", they can't afford to continue, if they do "rationalise", they become less desirable and lose business.

freiston

Veteran
A very good question Mr Shed. It seems a fair bit thicker, more oil and less solvent than most spray lubes I've come across and for that reason I've struggled to find any obvious name brand match.

As Mr Knight says, still a bit thin for chains, but it's more robust, manly nature makes it much better suited as a lubricant and protectant than the usual suspects.

Admittedly a bit more expensive, but would Weldtite TF2 lubricant spray be an acceptable alternative?

Hyslop

Veteran
I guess that ship has sailed

The Wilco lube must be a rebadged product - do we know what it is ?

Just seen,I used to use their own brand Mach 3 blades,which were rather good.When they vanished,I rediscovered the product in Superdrug.Now, I'm not suggesting the magic lube will turn up there,but the products out there, someone's looking for an outlet.Halfords, Decathlon?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There were some rumours a while back that the Reading branch would be saved, but alas, closed last week.
Next trip back there I'll just have to wander aimlessly round the town looking for all the nicknacks I can't get over here :sad:

Yep Maz and I were only talking the other day about the amount of 'stuff' we'd bought at Wilko from cooking implements to plates and glassware, then there's gardening equipment, decorating supplies, cleaning products and all manner of sundry things that came from Wilko.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Rumours are that Poundland are taking over the Wilko at Weston Favel, Hamtun.
Sounds good until you realise that the present Poundland is about 4 doors up so, no doubt, they'll be closing that one..

Top Bottom