Rollers or a turbo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rollers don't have the resistance a turbo does.

So I find rollers are best for spinning or intervals, they improve balance and improve pedalling action a lot, you can do one-leg drills, they're quite demanding of concentration and interesting to ride.
They won't hurt your bike (assuming you don't crash off them !), because they're more or less like riding on the road.
A normal cycle computer allows you to see speed/distance/duration/cadence/etc (although speed/distance don't directly compare to road riding - there's no wind resistance, etc)

A turbo however allows you to work against a resistance, so you can use them to improve power and strength in a way that you can't on rollers.
But they're boring as hell, which is why you can buy the megabucks ones linked to DVD's of climbing Mont Ventoux or whatever.
They will wear your tyre, which is why Tacx & Conti sell turbo-use tyres which resist getting hot (or alternatively just use your old tyres !)
Some claim the repetitive stresses of pedalling a solidly-clamped bike may fatigue it, so there are tales going round saying you shouldn't use a carbon bike on a turbo, although Specialized say no problems.
A front wheel-mounted bike computer won't work on a turbo, you'll need a back wheel mounted one, or a fancy turbo with it built in.
And you need to add the cost of a riser block to the cost of the turbo (or prop the front wheel up on two yellow pages...)

Wouldn't say one's better than the other, they're different.

OP
OP
walker

walker

thanks Andy,

At the moment I do own a bog standard plus broken Turbo (the resistance is stuck) so I was thinking of getting some Rollers for some easier days in the saddle.

Some great advice and it pretty much is down to training demands as to what is better for the individual.

Top Bottom