Rollers - some advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary E

Veteran
I bought myself a set of Tacx Galaxia rollers a couple of days ago and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.
After a few attempts I managed to get the hang of staying upright but I don't think I've ever had to concentrate quite so much just to stay on. Does the mental effort get any easier?
The second thing I noticed is that after only 5 miles I was more knackered than I am after a 50 ride outside. Is this just a matter of technique? I was averaging about 25mph (so about the same as on a level road) but it seemed a lot harder going.
Like I said, advice please guys.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Hi there, yes rollers do take some getting used to and your right, the effort required is much higher than you would expect. In time the mental effort eases off and you will get used to the physical side of things.

screenman

Legendary Member
Once you can ride no handed whist taking a t-shirt off then you are on the way to mastering them.

Must say 25mph on a flat road is pretty good, is this for very long?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Rollers are great for developing an efficient pedalling style. When I first got mine I was knackered after 10 minutes, but now an hour is fine.

Only thing I can think to add is to make sure your tyres are at close to maximum pressure, even if you tend to ride on road with a lower pressure. Your rear wheel especially will 'pinch' between the rollers, which chews a lot of your power and feels draggy and horrible.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Make sure you have plenty of pressure in the tyres, anything squashy makes it really hard work. Also the faster you go the more stable you will be due to the gyroscopic effect of the wheels, so go as fast as you can and don't bounce. Rollers encourage smooth pedal stroke and efficiency, so try to remain as calm as you can and lose, tensing up might feel like a natural response, but in fact it makes balancing harder. Getting proficient shouldn't take a long time and most people get to a passable standard after only half a dozen sessions or so. Now...if you really want a challenge try doing rollers whilst on a TT bike on the extensions...that's "interesting" the 1st time for sure... :eek:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
And FFS don't try and get out of the saddle when you practice your sprinting...

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
Just had my second proper session and managed the whole thing (granted only 5 miles in 15 minutes) without a single off. Just to up the ante a bit I did it clipped in!

I connected my Garmin up this time and noticed 2 things - My heart rate was about 10 - 15 bpm above my normal average and my cadence was also higher than my average by a good 20 rpm.

Not sure if this is just down to me putting too much effort in (just to help stay upright) in which case it'll settle down as I get more confident or if I need to consciously keep the rpm down (maybe with the gears).

To be honest, 5 miles in 15 minutes (20 mph average) is probably a bit faster than I'd average over a normal outdoor ride (my average for a 30 miler would be about 18 mph and my average for the imperial ton is only about 16 mph).

Not planning to give in yet but I would like to get to the point were I can put in at least an hour without killing myself!

Every year it gets a bit harder to spin the pedals up :smile:

Top Bottom